21. the second task

TRAINING WHEELS--
THE SECOND TASK.

021

Amora and Draco were back to ignoring each other as if they hadn't spent the past four weeks meeting up twice a week for secret snogging sessions. In Defence Against the Dark Arts, where they sat beside each other, it was back to Draco only turning in his seat to speak to Crabbe and Goyle whilst Amora pretended like she couldn't hear them.

A good thing to come out of it was that Amora really was studying now, and she had mended her friendship with Harry. They were pretty much back to normal, which Amora hoped would be the case since it was nearly two months since they had shared the kiss under the mistletoe.

Time was going fast, so fast that the second task rolled around two weeks after Amora's fight with Draco, and with hours left to go, she was stressed. She worried about both Cedric and Harry and what the next task could possibly be. Cedric seemed pretty relaxed, but it had been a good few days since Amora had had a proper conversation with Harry. As far as she was concerned, Hermione and Ron were helping him with his task since he had left it quite late.

Amora sat in the library opposite Kathy and Leon, rolling her eyes when they leaned in and kissed each other for the hundredth time that hour. It wasn't that she didn't like them together, in fact, that was far from the truth, but she missed the dynamic that they all used to have. It was weird seeing two of your best friends snogging each other.

Part of it was probably bitterness because things hadn't worked out with Draco. Amora hadn't expected them to really work out, but she didn't think it would be over so soon. She sort of missed meeting up with him and having him kiss the worries of the day away, leaving her feeling euphoric and calm.

Sometimes, lying awake late at night whilst all of her roommates were asleep, she wondered if she should go up to the Astronomy Tower and see if she would find him there. She always decided against it though. They'd ended so abruptly for a reason.

"Do you guys have the answer to question eight?" Amora glanced up from her parchment, sighing when she saw that Leon and Kathy had their foreheads pressed against each other, eyes locked as they smiled and whispered under their breaths. "Hello?"

"Sorry, Amora," Kathy pulled away, blushing. "What was your question?"

"Number eight," Amora replied, attempting to sound as neutral as possible so that they didn't expect that they were annoying her.

"Oh." Leon looked down at his parchment and then laughed, looking back at Kathy. "Would you look at that, Kath? It seems we haven't completed any questions yet!"

Kathy giggled too and they did the stupid Eskimo kiss that they always did before pressing their foreheads back against one another. Amora loved romance, truly, but this made her feel sick. She grabbed her parchment and quill and slipped them both into her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. They didn't even notice that she'd stood up until they heard her chair scrape back.

"I'm going to call it a night," Amora said, making Leon raise his eyebrows.

"We've only been here an hour," he interjected.

"You know what?" Amora forced a smile as she hummed, "I think I might work better in silence."

"We haven't been speaking," Kathy frowned.

Merlin, they didn't even realise how irritating that they'd been being. It had been for over a month now, too. Even the Golden Trio had complained about it a couple of times, but nobody had to deal with it as much as the Buckley girl who had finally reached her breaking point.