78. the 'truth'

TRAINING WHEELS
THE 'TRUTH'.

27th October 1996

When Daphne Greengrass sat down in front of Amora Buckley at the empty Hufflepuff table during a free period, all that Amora could feel was dread. Scanning the girl in front of her over, Amora realised that Daphne was actually very beautiful. Long, blonde hair and eyes so blue they looked like crystals, it was hard to think overwise. She had freckles that dusted all over her perfectly pointed nose and high cheekbones, and thin, arched brows that framed her face perfectly.

And she was smirking. Trawling some hair around her finger and smirking at Amora. The brunette girl pretended not to notice the tense atmosphere in the air as she glanced up from her book and pursed her lips.

"Can I help you, Daphne?" She asked gently.

"It's 'Greengrass' to you, Buckley," Daphne replied.

She was almost taken aback by her hostility. Amora had to refrain from scowling, subtly peering behind Daphne at the Slytherin table. There were a few of them dotted up and down also using their free period to study, but not that many - and none of her old friends either.

"Okay. Can I help you, Greengrass?" Amora repeated with a little more bitterness.

"I just wanted to say that it looks like I did win, after all," Daphne said, unable to keep the smug smile from sweeping across her face.

Amora's brows furrowed in confusion. "Excuse me?"

Daphne scoffed. "As if you don't remember what you said to me on the night of Draco's birthday party."

Amora quickly recalled being told the next morning that she had had an argument with Daphne but Draco had taken her to bed before it could escalate. He had told her not to bother apologising because Daphne had started it, and now she could guess what it was about. But what did she mean that she had won? Won what? Draco?

The idea of Draco quickly moving onto Daphne made her feel sick with anxiety. She tried not to show it as she spoke.

"Actually, I don't recall," Amora replied as smoothly as possible. "Would you like to tell me exactly what you won? Or should I start guessing?"

Daphne scowled a little. "Draco. You said I'd never have a chance with him, but look at the two of you now: broken up. It seems like your words really... backfired, didn't they?"

"My word still stands. You don't stand a chance with him, Greengrass. Even now," Amora replied confidently.

"Oh, come on. Don't kid yourself, Buckley," Daphne scoffed incredulously, "It was never going to work out. I think the both of you knew that. He deserves someone a bit more like me - someone that's from an actual respectable Pureblood family. Somebody prettier, even. And smarter, and funnier -"

"I hope you're not talking about yourself," Amora laughed. "Your comparisons really are debatable. Listen, Greengrass. I'd love to sit here all day and point out our differences, but the fact is..." She pursed her lips and cocked her head to the side, feigning sympathy. "Draco chose me. And then even after he kissed you, he chose me again. And I'm the one that broke up with him, so don't be fooled. If I wanted him back, all I'd have to do is snap my fingers."

Daphne was red with rage. Amora wasn't sure where her words had come from. She wasn't even sure if the last statement was very true anymore, but Daphne didn't need to know that. She just wanted the Slytherin girl to piss off and leave her alone rather than to sit in front of her and feed her insecurities she hadn't had before.