7. locked in

TRAINING WHEELS—
LOCKED IN.

007

A couple of weeks had gone by since the Triwizard champions had been announced and Harry was being mocked behind his back left and right, even by his own fellow Gryffindors. Amora hated to hear it and it became tiresome during classes when people would mutter words about Harry being a liar and a fraud where she could hear. Even the Hufflepuffs whispered in the safety of their common room, convinced Harry was trying to steal Cedric's glory.

Amora yawned as she sat down at her table at breakfast, her eyes still slightly heavy as they pleaded for her to just lean down and rest her head on the oak where she could maybe squeeze in another fifteen minutes or so of sleep. Leon nudged her as he reached forwards and grabbed a sausage off of one of the many platters in front of them.

"Are you going to Professor Flitwick's revision session tonight?" Leon asked, mouth full with what looked like bacon.

Amora grimaced a little and she had to stop herself from telling him to eat with his mouth shut like her mother would. Instead, the tired girl looked down at the steaming bowl of porridge in front of her and shrugged her shoulders.

"I dunno," she admitted. "I think I'm doing fine in Charms, and I'm absolutely knackered. I'll probably want to sleep as soon as last lesson's over."

"Fair," Leon sighed, watching the girl lazily lift her spoon into her mouth and eat. "Hey," he suddenly hissed.

"What?" Amora mumbled.

"Don't look now, but Harry's staring at you," her best friend grinned wide from ear to ear, snickering as he nudged her.

Amora felt her cheeks heat up and she shook her head. Slowly, she was becoming less and less oblivious, but it didn't stop the uncertainty and self consciousness inside her. She had her slight suspicions that Harry might have a small crush on her, yet at the same time she'd managed to convince herself that she was delusional and just full of herself to think somebody as special as Harry Potter would ever like her more than a good friend.

"So?" She dismissed him bashfully.

"So, I'm just saying, as your best friend I give you my permission," Leon grinned.

"Oh, I need your permission, do I?" Amora raised her brows. "Just leave it, Leon. I don't want to damage Harry and I's friendship. Because that's all we have, and it's all I want from him."

"Don't tell me you still fancy Blaise Zabini?" Leon groaned, shaking his head in shame.

"No!" Amora protested, her voice accidentally carrying across the hall and causing some people to look over. She blushed furiously and sent a look to Leon. "I haven't had a crush on him since the start of third year."

Leon would know that if it was the type of stuff the two best friends talked about, however, when it came to crushes and relationships, Hermione was Amora's girl. New crushes didn't come often, but Amora rarely hesitated to gush over a cute boy in the year above or squeal about the fictional boys in the books they both read. And whilst Hermione had yet to admit it, Amora was sure she was crushing on Ron— which Amora thought was totally adorable.

"Good," the brown-eyed boy pursed his lips as he glanced towards the Slytherin table. "Never date a Slytherin, Amora. They all end up the same way."

Amora's face contorted, twisting into an expression of disgust as soon as the words escaped her best friend's lips. She dropped her spoon into her porridge bowl, scowling at him slightly.