37. the slytherin dorm

TRAINING WHEELS—
THE SLYTHERIN DORM

037

"My bed's that one."

Draco's finger pointed over to one of the four-posters towards the back of the room, more obviously the one that had his school shoes neatly placed at the end of it. Amora wandered over to it, taking his remark as an invitation to sit on top of it, but feeling somewhat awkward doing so. Despite there being no windows since it was underground, it smelt surprisingly fresh in the fourth year boys' dormitory.

Draco's area in particular smelt slightly of the cologne that he used every morning, filling Amora's stomach with butterflies. She watched as Draco grabbed some parchment and a quill, scribbling onto it as quickly as possible. She quirked a brow, looking around the room. Just like their common room, which Draco had practically dragged Amora through at lightning speed, it was dark and adorned with green accents.

Amora perched on the end of Draco's bed, smoothing her hands across his clean bedsheets. She noticed a couple of books perched neatly on his bedside table, alongside his cologne, and a half-filled goblet of water. It was quite bare, most of his possessions tucked away in his trunk or in the safety of his home back in Wiltshire.

"What are you doing?" Amora asked him as he finally stopped with his scribbling and enveloped his work.

"Writing to Blaise," Draco muttered as he concentrated on writing the boy's name on the front. "Telling him not to let Crabbe and Goyle near the dorm for the next six hours."

Amora blushed slightly. "You might want to tell him why. That sounds quite... suggestive."

"My business is not theirs," Draco muttered, not glancing at her as he yanked open the door and stuck his head out of it. "Oi! Baddock! Come here now."

Amora craned her neck to peek but couldn't see anything past Draco's back. A first-year came rushing to the door, looking exceptionally nervous to be in the presence of Draco, especially when summoned himself. His cheeks were red and his hands played with each other behind his back as he peered up at him anxiously.

"Yes, Malfoy?" He squeaked.

"Hand this to Zabini for me," Draco ordered firmly, "He's in the Great Hall. And don't you dare even think about looking at it. If you do, I will know."

Malcolm Baddock nodded quickly before rushing off, eager not to upset Draco. Draco shut the door and turned back around, this time looking at Amora. His eyes softened at her nervous form perched on top of his bed, and with a few strides of his long legs, he was sitting down beside her. Amora glanced at the floor until she felt his hand under her chin, forcing her to look up at him.

"Now, tell me what happened," Draco demanded, "Relax first, though. You look as though I'm holding my wand to your throat or something."

Amora managed to crack a small smile at his attempt to lighten the mood.

"Leon put Veritaserum in my honey," she told him, her tongue moving with a mind of its own. "He's been trying to figure out where I've been going for months now. He's been acting more like a father than a friend. Demanding me to tell him where I've been, if I'm meeting up with people."

"How did all of this start, though?" Draco frowned, nose scrunched as he thought about Amora's supposed best friend. "Does he not realise what the Ministry would do if they ever found out he'd been messing around with truth serum?"

"I think I saw him knicking it from Snape a couple of weeks ago," Amora admitted, "And then, yesterday, I think he tried to get me drunk to confess. But it didn't work, so--"