4. unforgivable curses

TRAINING WHEELS—
UNFORGIVABLE CURSES.

004

Amora had spent the entire night reading, eventually passing out from exhaustion at around four in the morning. She'd used her wand as a light beneath her duvet covers, the only sound being her soft breathing as well as the snores from the other Hufflepuff girls in her dormitory. Susan Bones was a particularly loud snorer which sometimes annoyed Amora, but when she really got stuck into her book, she barely noticed it.

She was faintly aware of shuffling around at half past seven in the morning, but Amora was so out of it that when one of the girls tried to prod her awake at eight she just groaned and rolled back over.

"Amora, if you lose points for Hufflepuff, we won't be pleased," Hannah Abbott tried to coax her out of her yellow cocoon.

The blonde haired girl sighed when a muffled 'humpf' came from Amora. Her deep blue eyes quickly cast to the book left half-open on the floor beside Amora's bed and she unfolded her arms across her robe-clad chest, shaking her head and swiping it off of the floor.

"For goodness sake, Amora," Hannah huffed. "Reading at night will only strain your poor eyes."

Amora slowly peeked from the covers and reached out, gently taking the book from Hannah's hands. She put it on the bedside table beside her and sat up, revealing her bird's nest head of hair the dark circles beneath her eyes. She looked a little paler than usual too.

"Do you feel okay?" Hannah stressed. "You look a little ill."

"I'm fine," Amora promised, stifling a yawn. "Gosh, I'm going to need some coffee this morning or something."

"Guys!" Susan snapped from the doorway. "Hurry up."

The other two Hufflepuff girls had already left to go down to breakfast, their beds made and their pyjamas folded neatly at the ends. Hannah sent Amora a concerned look, but Amora dismissed the blonde girl with a small smile and a wave of the hand.

"Go, honestly. I'll get ready and I won't be late to class, I promise," Amora started to climb out of her bed. "No points taken away from Hufflepuff today."

"Hannah!" Susan called again.

Hannah shot her a small look. "I'm coming. Hold your horses, Susan." She turned back to Amora. "I'll save you a seat."

Amora thanked her, although she was unsure if she would even make it to breakfast on time or not. As soon as the door closed behind Hannah and Susan, she started to scramble around the room in search for her uniform. She found her robe draped over her bedpost and her shoes tucked underneath the bed, but her skirt, shirt, and tie were nowhere to be seen.

"Oh gosh," Amora grumbled.

She spent about five whole minutes hunting for her uniform. For the life of her she couldn't remember where she'd put them before she fell asleep last night, but eventually she found her skirt mixed in with her duvet, and her shirt was on the trunk sitting at the end of her bed.

"Tie, tie, tie..." She kept repeating, well aware that the bell for the first period was about to go off any minute now.

Amora closed her eyes as she silently tried to retrace her steps, tapping her shoes on the floor. She remembered studying in the common room with Leon last night and figured it must be down there. After all, she hated wearing her tie whenever it wasn't necessary. Not only that, but after seeing the Beauxbatons' uniform the other day, Amora hadn't stopped thinking about how much better school would be if hers wasn't so... bland in comparison.