44. mine

TRAINING WHEELS-

MINE.

044

You must remember that, deep down, you know that you deserve to be punished.

The words replayed in Amora's head all day and so did the sensation of what felt like a small knife carving into her left hand. It was quite swollen and irritated the morning after, but Amora supposed that was the point. She wondered if it would scar and realised that, by Friday (the last day of her week of detentions), it most likely would.

I must not talk back.

Amora wondered how Professor Umbridge was even allowed to carry out such punishments on her students. How was Professor Dumbledore even allowing this? Surely Professor McGonagall would have something to say? But nobody had even mentioned the new form of punishment at Hogwarts, not even Harry the next day when they made eye contact.

Did he have to sit through that torture to? By the way that he avoided her gaze, she supposed he probably had. Amora caught him clutching his hand through Care of Magical Creatures with Professor Grubbly-Plank, but as soon as he saw her looking, he stopped. If Harry wasn't going to say anything, she wasn't going to say anything either. She didn't want to come across as weak or something.

"So," Pansy huffed, taking a seat beside Amora in the library. "Why is Malfoy being more of a dick than usual?"

Amora frowned and glanced up at her. "Huh?"

"Your boyfriend," Pansy emphasised, "He got back to the common room last night and nearly exploded at some first years for talking too loud. Bear in mind that it's their first bloody day-- even I thought that was harsh. And at dinner he didn't say a word, just moped about like some sad loser."

Amora grew concerned for Draco and then recalled the conversation that the two of them had shared yesterday. She hadn't really been thinking about it too much since Umbridge's detention, but she supposed it had been on his mind. She really hoped that he didn't think she preferred to talk to Harry over him. That wasn't the case at all.

"I'll talk to him," Amora murmured as she finished up her made-up dream for her Divination class. "I haven't seen him yet today, though."

"Yeah, he's bunking off," Pansy replied with a roll of the eyes. "Second day, too. Zabini and Nott said he was faking some illness so he can lie around in bed all day."

Amora's brows furrowed. "Oh. Well, I'll talk to him as soon as I see him tomorrow, then."

"No, you're coming to the boys' dorms with me after last period today," the ebony-haired girl huffed, sending her a pointed look when Amora opened her mouth to protest. "Malfoy is an insufferable twat when he's in a bad mood. The longer you leave him, the worse he gets. And I have prefect duty with him tonight."

"I can't," Amora said, "I have detention with Umbridge tonight after lessons."

Pansy's face screwed up. "Again? For how long?"

Amora sighed. "Until Friday."

"Merlin's beard, she's harsh. Remind me not to ever get on her bad side," Pansy chided, "What's she got you doing?"

"Just... writing lines," the brunette muttered.

Another reason she was feeling so glum was due to her morning on the Astronomy Tower. She'd tried to go to the edge again (and succeeded) but she hadn't been able to pull her hands away from the bars for less than a second before she was panicking and having to stumble back six feet.