95. the wedding

TRAINING WHEELS

THE WEDDING

1st August 1997

Amora wasn't quite sure how Tonks had managed to convince Amora to come to Fleur and Bill's wedding, but there she was, in one of Tonks' dresses that had been Transfigured to fit her better, her makeup and hair done nicer than it had been in weeks. She felt fresh and clean for once, but the stares of her old school friends made her feel sick and disgusting.

"What is she doing here?" A boy with ginger hair that Amora swore she had never met before spat, only for Ron and Hermione to grab him before he could charge forwards.

"Now, now, Harry," Lupin quipped, much to Amora's surprise - he must have used Polyjuice potion. "I understand that you may be apprehensive of Amora being here, but she was invited by Bill and Fleur -"

"She - She's the reason Dumbledore is dead!" Harry seethed, "I asked you, Amora, I asked you so many times, and you lied to me. You told me Malfoy wasn't a Death Eater."

"I didn't -" Amora swallowed, scratching her neck. "I didn't know he was going to kill Dumbledore or let Death Eaters into the school, Harry."

"As if that makes it any better," Ron quickly added, "I don't know why my brother would invite you when you defended a Death Eater for a whole year -"

"I never defended him," Amora cut Ron off. "Can - Will you please let me tell you my side of the story? I'm not saying I'm perfectly innocent or anything, but... but maybe you won't think of me as so traitorous if you find out that I - well, I went to Dumbledore."

Everybody looked as if she had just slapped them around the face. Lupin gave Amora's shoulder a small pat of encouragement before he moved away to join the adults. Amora nervously looked between the people standing in front of her: Harry, Hermione, Ron, the Wealsey twins, and Ginny.

"Let's go inside, shall we?" Hermione said, glancing towards everybody. "We don't want to cause a scene."

Amora found herself inside the Burrow, which reminded her a little bit of the Buckley Cottage, but perhaps with a little more clutter. The living room was quite small, but they all managed to fit. Well, everybody else did, Amora was left to stand in front of them. Harry didn't sit either, standing with his arms folded beside one of the chairs. She could hardly take him seriously when he didn't look at all like himself.

"Come on then," Fred said.

"Yeah, we don't have all day," George added, "Wedding starts soon."

Amora sighed heavily. "I don't know where to start. I - I suppose I should say that I didn't find out that Draco was actually a Death Eater until the very end of October last year. Harry, when you first asked me, I truly hadn't even considered that before... Draco wasn't -" Amora furrowed her brows. "I thought he would never. He didn't tell me about his real tasks. He told me he had to spy on Harry and Dumbledore, and I knew it was wrong, but I was stupidly in love with him and -"

"How can you love him after he became a Death Eater?" Ginny scrunched her face up.

"He didn't willingly become one," Amora quickly replied, earning a scoff and an eye roll from Ron. "No, no. I'm serious. I swear on everything I love. I'm not defending him anymore, not after what he's done, but he - Draco was so upset about it, he tried to push me away to protect me, and he was forced to do it - he said he and his family would be killed otherwise. It was a punishment from You-Know-Who, because of his father's failure at the ministry. And Draco really hated that mark. He wasn't proud of it - not at all. He didn't want to be a Death Eater."