81. narcissa malfoy

TRAINING WHEELS

NARCISSA MALFOY

14 November 1996

Despite all the previous reassurance that Draco's mother liked her, Amora couldn't help the nerves that crept up on her on the morning she was supposed to have lunch with them. Narcissa was well-known in the Pureblood community seeing as she was a Black and a Malfoy, but that wasn't the reason Amora was anxious. She had no problem with Narcissa's high status and family background, but more so the fact that this was her boyfriend's mother.

A woman Amora strived to impress, despite their obvious differences. Part of her knew Draco probably wouldn't allow them to have lunch if he thought they wouldn't get along, which reassured her a little bit more, but she still hoped he didn't expect her to lie to get Narcissa to like her more. Amora refused to be anything less than authentic - though she knew to be politer than usual and a bit more reserved, of course.

She slipped on a pair of tights with a plaid skirt, her white turtleneck shirt tucked into it, and grabbed a coat. It wasn't snowing today and the rain had come overnight, meaning the ground was pretty icy and the air was chilly. That was sort of the least of her worries though. She tied her boots up and glanced over to Kathy who was still in her pyjamas.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Amora squeaked nervously.

Kathy raised her blonde eyebrows at Amora. "And do what? Sit there and watch you eat with your boyfriend and his mother?"

"No," Amora whined, "You'd sit a few booths away. For moral support. And then, if I give you the look, you'd come over and get me out of there as soon as -"

"You're stressing over nothing!" Kathy promised her, climbing out of her bed and grabbing Amora's hands which had been flying about animatedly. "From what you told me about when you met her before, Malfoy's mother doesn't seem too bad. You should just be thankful you're not meeting his father. Everybody knows how terrifying that man is."

Amora shuddered. "I can't believe we got away with him never finding out about the two of us before he was sent to Azkaban. I think I would have died if I had to meet him whilst he knew I had been shagging his son. I mean, he'd probably have a heart attack before I even stepped through the bloody door, but -"

"Stop putting yourself down," Kathy hushed her. "And start bringing yourself up. It will give you confidence before you leave. His father might have liked you. You're a Pureblood and you're pretty - you'd give him good grandchildren."

Amora grimaced. "Please don't say that. I don't want to think about giving Lucius Malfoy any grandchildren right now, thank you."

Kathy giggled. "Okay, sorry. But still - you'd inherit some Malfoy money and you'd be so bloody minted -"

"Kathy!"

Eventually, Kathy managed to force Amora out of the dormitory with her coat and her bag - filled with nothing but a few Galleons, a hair tie and some lip balm. She took a deep breath as she moved through the common room, unsure if she looked paler than usual because of the recent change in weather or because she felt sick with anxiety.

"Hogsmeade weekend, huh?" Leon called from the couch, looking over the back of it as he rolled a joint between his slender fingers. "You look worried. Fancy a joint? Might de-stress you a bit."

For a split second, Amora almost contemplated it, but she quickly shook her head. "No thanks. I have to go."

"So what?" Leon called after her. "You got your boyfriend back and you don't want to spend time with me anymore?"