100. captured

TRAINING WHEELS

CAPTURED

20th October 1997

When Draco's eyes fluttered open, his body felt heavy and his eyes tired. The clock on the side table told him that it was nearly one in the afternoon, which nearly made him jump. Draco had always been an early riser, yet as the days rolled on and his depression deepened, he slept for longer and longer. In a dream land where sometimes Amora was still his.

He was pretty sure he had woken from a dreamless sleep this time. Or at least he couldn't remember anything. Just reading in the dim light and then nothing. That was how it usually went these days though.

His back was stiff from falling asleep in the library chair, clicking as he sat up. He still wore his clothes from the day before, the bags beneath his eyes and the messiness of his overgrown blond hair being the only indicator that he had woken up less than a minute ago.

He picked the book up off of the ground and placed it on the table, pursing his lips together. Draco wondered if today would be one of the days where he would sneak off to Buckley Cottage and sit on the beach, watching the waves roll, or if he would stay here and read. It was getting colder with each day, so probably the latter one.

Draco pushed the door open, the silence of the library suddenly being interrupted by deep yells. His stomach dropped, realising that something had happened and the Death Eaters who had invaded his house were not happy. He prayed Potter hadn't been captured or found.

"Dead?" He heard the calm tone of the Dark Lord. Draco had grown too used to it.

"Yes, dead!" Draco heard a familiar yell as he moved around the corner, finding his parents standing in the foyer alongside Voldemort, Amycus Carrow, Bellatrix, and a few other Death Eaters. "She died an hour ago!"

"How dare you take that tone with our Dark Lord!" Bellatrix hissed.

Amycus paled in realisation, swallowing thickly.

"Now, now, Bella," Voldemort said, glancing towards her. "Amycus here is upset by his sister's passing, which is only natural." He looked back at Amycus. "You say it was a group of students?"

"No - well - yes!" Amycus was clearly shaken. "Her seventh year Muggle Studies class."

"Oh." Voldemort's eyes moved to Draco, causing everybody to turn and face him. He nearly flinched - he forgot he wasn't just watching from the outside. "Draco, please. Join us. One of your peers may be responsible for the death of Alecto Carrow, it seems."

Alecto was dead? Someone in his year had murdered her?

Draco forced himself closer to them, purposely ignoring his parents' stares. His mother immediately inched towards him. His father looked... slightly proud? Lucius raised his chin higher to the ceiling, as if to set an example for his son who had long since worked out that he was merely a follower and a coward.

"It was that girl! That wretched blood-traitorous girl!" Amycus seethed, "She killed my sister!"

Draco's heart leapt in his chest. There were only five Pureblooded girls in his year, which certainly narrowed the culprits down, but in his gut he knew. He didn't know how, but he knew.

"And who is this murderer, Amycus?" Voldemort questioned.

Amycus' face was red as he spat, "Amora Buckley."

Draco was pretty sure the world had stopped spinning. A hand immediately grasped his wrist, his mother being the only thing bringing him stability in that moment. Narcissa released a shaky breath, probably for the both of them. Draco began to furiously Occlude, praying it would be enough.