3. sworn enemies

TRAINING WHEELS—
SWORN ENEMIES.

003

Amora was worried about Cedric, but she tried not to dwell on it too much. Leon thought it was pretty cool that a Hufflepuff was brave enough to go forward and put their name in the Goblet of Fire, and everybody else seemed to think so too, so Amora zipped her mouth. Besides, Cedric was the older cousin-- not her. She shouldn't be trying to act like a parent and hold him back.

School had only been back in session for a couple of days, but already the brunette was exhausted. Her brown eyes held small bags underneath them, but it was nothing that a dash of concealer and a bright smile couldn't hide. During her free period, Amora found herself wandering around the halls of Hogwarts, trying to make her way back to the common room whilst reading her book.

She was so captivated by the words on the page that she nearly walked straight into somebody coming her way. If they didn't have the most white-blond hair that Amora had ever seen, then perhaps she would have missed them completely. She glanced up, sending a small nod and half a smile to Draco.

Almost immediately after she did so did Amora want to smack herself around the face. She needed to remind herself not to smile at every person she walked by-- especially when their last name was with Malfoy and they made fun of her and her friends.

"Did you just smile at me, Buckley?" Draco snickered, narrowing his eyes at her. "Careful, Leon might think you're in love with me or something."

Amora scoffed, pausing in her tracks. "One, Leon is not my boyfriend, no matter how much you want him to be, Malfoy. And two, you are the last person in this entire castle that I would ever fall for. Even Snape comes above you."

"Ouch," Draco mocked, holding a hand on his heart. "That truly hurts, Amora. I thought you had been genuinely happy to see me."

"The day I'm happy to see you is the day that I've lost my mind." Amora rolled her eyes.

Amora would have felt bad saying that if it was to anybody but Draco Malfoy. As far as she was concerned, their mutual hatred consisted of teasing, teasing, and more teasing. Genuinely hateful remarks only came from their lips when they'd embarrassed the other in front of other students and they needed a better comeback, but other than that, it sometimes felt like Draco and Amora had some mutual respect for each other, although that feeling hadn't sprouted since last year, when Draco had helped her.

LAST YEAR.

Amora's eyes flickered open, a small hum coming from the back of her throat as consciousness took its grip on her body. She realised she must have fallen asleep whilst reading one of the many Muggle books she kept stashed beneath her bed, the book now sprawled out across her lap and the bookmark to the side. She sighed, picking it up and groaning when she realised that she had lost her place. The number of times that this had happened because Amora would constantly read until she passed out was becoming a problem.

She rubbed at her eyes with the backs of her hands and stood up from her spot against the stone wall. Her legs were slightly numb from the way that they had been awkwardly crossed-- in fact, Amora wondered how she could have even fallen asleep comfortably in such a position.

Muffled talk was coming from around the corner, causing Amora to curiously glance over. She was heading for the Wooden Bridge to head back to her dormitory anyway, so there was no hurt in pausing for a moment or two. Standing in the Stone Circle were Draco and his two minions, Crabbe and Goyle, and heading right for them were Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Amora shifted in her spot with a soft frown, holding her book tight to her chest as she heard Hermione start to yell. "You. You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!"