76. dreams and concerns

TRAINING WHEELS

DREAMS AND CONCERNS.

OCTOBER 21st

Amora didn't know what she was expecting. Part of her hoped that one of them would chase after her and tell her that it was all in her head, but nobody came for her. She headed straight for her dormitory where she buried herself into her pillow and began to cry softly. She couldn't help it - no matter how badly she wanted to stay strong, it sort of felt like her entire world was crumbling around her and she had nobody to latch onto.

  Merely ten minutes later, a hand began to stroke her back, causing her to flinch and glance up. Kathy was perched on the edge of her mattress, her lips pursed into a sympathetic, wavering smile. Amora could have sighed in relief at the sight of her.

Kathy sighed, "I saw you storm out of the Great Hall. Are you alright, sweetheart?"

Amora whimpered and shook her head, sitting up a little to bury herself against Kathy. "I let them go because I thought they hated me and I thought - I just thought that - I don't know."

"You were hoping they wouldn't let you leave?" Kathy stroked Amora's shoulder, holding onto her tight. "Oh, babe. Maybe this will make them wake up and they'll realise the mistake they've made."

"Do you ever feel like the world has something against you?" Amora rubbed her eyes. "Or maybe it's me. I can't keep a single friend, Kathy. I can't even maintain a good relationship with my own parents. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong."

"I think this has all been happening since you've started standing up for yourself. Amora, there are people out there that love you. Your parents, me, Draco..."

She flinched. "Don't talk about him."

"Did you break up?" Kathy asked worriedly.

"What was I supposed to do?" Amora sniffled, "He wouldn't give me the time of day! And I tried to help - I tried so much. He only paid attention to me when he wanted sex."

Kathy's face contorted into an expression of anger. "Then that arsehole has serious issues. You're amazing, Amora. Anybody would be lucky to date you. There are so many boys that have a thing for you here - probably girls too."

Bizarrely, Amora had a strange dream that night. She was in the Great Hall, only all of the tables had disappeared and it had been designed to look like some sort of winter wonderland, the twelve huge Christmas trees set up around the perimeter as snow fell outside. It was the Yule Ball, she quickly realised. Music was playing, Cedric was dancing with Cho, and Kathy and Leon were laughing with each other in the corner.

Amora was standing by herself in the middle of the room, her hands smoothing down the beautiful dress she had worn on the night. Somebody called her name from behind her, causing her to turn. She had been suspecting Blaise just like it had been on the actual night, but it was Harry instead. He was smiling at her, holding his hand out.

"Would you, erm, would you like to dance, Amora?" Harry asked sheepishly.

Amora blushed and nodded. "Of course."

Her hand slipped into Harry's larger one and he led her out onto the dance floor. People watched them dance all night long, studied the way Amora's dress swayed around their feet, how Harry's hands remained respectfully around her waist and how she kept giggling as she looked up and their eyes met.

Amora saw flickers of a relationship that had never happened. She saw people gushing over them together, her parents included, and she saw how happy Harry was - his face brighter yet more relaxed than usual. Amora watched snippets of kisses they shared before Quidditch games and after DA lessons whilst they were packing up. Perhaps the most heartwarming image was where she sat curled up into his side in the Gryffindor common room, surrounded by their friends.