13. harry's harsh words

TRAINING WHEELS—
HARRY'S HARSH WORDS.

013

Draco lifted his head from the leather couch inside the Slytherin common room, his eyebrow quirking when he saw Blaise heading in with a smirk on his face. The Zabini boy peeled the black pea coat off of his body and flung it over the side of the couch Draco was on.

"What's got you looking so pleased?" Draco barely glanced at him before peering back down at the thick book in his hands.

"Well, I got a date to the Yule Ball," Blaise boasted, more than excited for Draco to start his questioning.

"I feel sorry for the poor girl," Draco remarked teasingly. "Well, go on, then. Tell me who you asked. Was it Greengrass?"

"No, not Daphne," Blaise's smirk widened. "A Hufflepuff, actually."

He watched in satisfaction as Draco's silver eyes seemed to darken. Despite denying it, Blaise was sure that his best friend had a crush on the small brunette who was always laughing with her friends. If Draco begged him not to, Blaise would cancel on Amora and then know for sure that he had a crush on her.

"Who?" Draco's grave tone implied he already had an idea.

"Amora Buckley," Blaise answered, not missing the way Draco's jaw clenched. "I think you know her. You sit beside her in Defence Against the Dark Arts, right?"

Draco gritted his teeth. "You bastard."

"You weren't going to ask her anyway, Malfoy," Blaise huffed. "I mean, despite that argument with Potter you made me swear not to tell anybody out, you say you have no feelings for Buckley! Unless... you do have feelings for her?" Blaise acted surprised. "I mean, just say the word and I'll let you have her, Draco."

The blond boy slammed his book shut so abruptly that Blaise nearly flinched. He stood from the couch, tucking it under his arm and heading towards his dormitory.

"Better than Potter going with her, I suppose," Draco sneered. "I hope you have a lot of fun with Buckley. Merlin knows she'll be a prude-- not the sort you look for, Zabini."

Draco ignored how hard it was for him to get the words out and started up the staircase, not looking back. He wouldn't give Blaise the satisfaction. As far as everybody else was concerned, Amora Buckley meant nothing to Draco Malfoy.

D.M + A.B

Amora practically melted into her mattress as soon as she made it back to her dormitory, staring up at the oak ceiling of her canopy bed. Her coat had been dismissed to the floor beside her, her shoes kicked off messily by the door and her uniform still on as she laid above the covers, hands clasped on her stomach.

She thought about Blaise Zabini and bit her bottom lip delicately. At least now she had a solution to the Harry problem; she could tell him that she already had a date and it wouldn't be a lie either. She did feel sort of bad for Harry, but she didn't want to lead him on.

"You alright, Amora?" Hannah questioned as she left the bathroom, drying her hair off with a fluffy yellow towel.

"Mhm," the brunette nodded. "Just thinking."

"What about?"

"Well, I just got asked to the Yule Ball," she smiled a little, hearing a faint gasp from not only Hannah but also Kathy who was sat on her bed.

"By who?" Kathy sat up eagerly. "Was it Harry?"

Amora's eyes widened. "No. Why would it be Harry?"

"He was looking for you earlier," Kathy said. "He came by the common room but you weren't here. He seemed so nervous that we assumed he could only be looking for you for one thing!"