26. draco's nightmare

TRAINING WHEELS—
DRACO'S NIGHTMARE.

026

"Draco?"

The white-haired boy's silver eyes slowly flickered open and began to search around his bedroom for the source of the sound. It was pitch black, not a single shadowy figure in sight, just the pale moon's beams that shone through the ceiling-high window and reflected onto the dark floorboards. His room was huge, perhaps bigger than the dormitory he shared with the rest of the fourth year Slytherin boys at Hogwarts, and it made him feel all that much lonelier.

He was awake now. He had no idea how the 'voice' had woken him from his slumber when it had sounded so quiet and far away. Almost like a ghost wandering the corridors of the manor. Draco visibly shivered and pulled his duvet further up his body, nearly all the way to his neck, only his pale face and broad shoulders visible as he moved to stare up at the ceiling of his oak canopy bed.

It was bigger than a double, far larger and comfier than his bed back at Hogwarts. Yet he'd rather be there, no matter how much he insisted that he hated the school.

"D-Draco?"

There was that voice again. Draco knew that it definitely wasn't in his head anymore. It was a soft, feminine voice and it was shaking slightly, filling the Malfoy boy with dread. At first, he had no idea who it could be-- it certainly wasn't his mother whose voice was deeper and stronger. Then it dawned on him.

The girl sounded exactly like Amora Buckley. He was sure it couldn't be her. What the hell would she be doing in his family's home, uninvited and wandering the halls in the dead of the night? Nevertheless, despite his confusion, Draco shifted out of his bed and grabbed his wand, cold feet hitting the colder floor below him. He didn't even grab a shirt as he stood.

"Lumos," he whispered, the end of his wand lighting up like a torch and allowing him to see in front of him a little.

He dared to push open the door, head and wanding peeking out first into the hallway. When he was sure that it was empty, Draco left through it, a frown on his face. He was extremely confused and a little frightened. Especially once he had padded down the staircase and was met with a figure curled into a ball by the door.

"Amora?" Draco whispered fearfully, heart pounding out of his chest.

She glanced up from her arms, teary brown eyes taking him in. Draco gulped at her bruised face, a strange pain filling his gut that he had never experienced before. He moved closer, dropping to his knees in front of her and holding her arm. She winced away from him.

"Amora?" Draco repeated, "Amora, why are you here?"

She glanced up at him, sniffling. "You wanted me to be here," Amora glared slightly. "You asked me to come here."

Draco had no recognition of it. He tried to reach out of her hand again, but she tugged it away.

"What- What happened to your face?" He asked quietly.

"Like you don't know," the brunette began to cry again. "You told me that they would like me, Draco. You said it was okay for us to be together."

"What--"

"Draco," the booming voice of his father cut him off and Draco visibly jumped, turning to see his father walking down the stairs, cane in his hand as Narcissa followed close behind, a disgusted expression written across her pale face. "Step away from it."

"It?" Draco repeated, horrified as he stood up. "Father, she is--"

"We know exactly who that wretched girl is, Draco," Narcissa gasped, her eyes filling with tears as she placed a hand on Lucius' shoulder. "And we cannot believe that you would bring such... such scum into our home!"