98. i defy you stars

TRAINING WHEELS
I DEFY YOU STARS

23rd September 1997

The library's windows stretched high towards the ceiling, tainted with the rain that lashed down violently outside. White peacocks attempted to shake the raindrops off from their spots in the grass and a house elf continued to trim at one of the bushes, acting as though their back wasn't being beaten on by the cold water. Amora appreciated the toasty warmness of the library and the thickness of her jumper.

Something brushed her leg. Amora looked down and proceeded to pick up the pure white cat staring up with its wide green eyes. It mewled as it nuzzled its head into her chest and Amora stepped away from the window, settling back down into the cushioned armchair - big enough for at least two people.

The cat moved about on her lap to get comfy, leaving white hairs in its trail. Amora stroked its side with one hand and used her spare to pluck the hairs off of her, flicking them off of the side of the armchair.

Hands covered her eyes all of a sudden, causing her to pause. Amora smiled when she felt the familiar coolness of slender fingers and the brushing of chunky rings on her face.

"Hmm. Could it be the only other person who lives in this manor?" Amora considered teasingly as the hands moved away and a heavy sigh came from behind her.

"Merlin, you are good at that game," Draco teased back as he sat down on the arm of the sofa, one leg kicking up whilst the other remained on the ground, his arm stretching across the back of her.

He leaned down to stroke at the cat in her lap. For the life of her, Amora could not remember the cat's name.

"What do you fancy for dinner, Mrs Malfoy?" Draco asked her.

Amora grinned a little at the name, shaking her head. "Scorp fancies that tomato soup we had last week - with the bread rolls. But he wants two this time, not one."

"Oh, does he now?" Draco arched an eyebrow, averting his eyes from the cat in her lap to the small bump that was just visible through her jumper. "Are you hungry, Scorpius?"

Amora glanced down as Draco placed his hand on it. His thumb stroked where their baby grew, his silver eyes softer than Amora had ever seen them before. He pressed a kiss to the side of Amora's head.

"Well tomato soup and two bread rolls it is, then," Draco promised her. "I'll let the house elves know."

Amora reached out and grasped his hand before he could leave. Draco glanced back, furrowing his brows in confusion. When Amora didn't say anything after a couple of moments, unsure what she wanted to say anyway, Draco's eyes darted down to the coffee table beside her armchair.

He grasped the book she had been reading and the cup of tea, handing it to her. Amora accepted them.

"There you go," Draco said, "By the way, Pansy, Theo, and Blaise will be coming over soon."

"Oh, okay," Amora smiled, "Are they staying for dinner?"

"No."

"Oh." Amora's frown deepened as she grew more confused. "What's the occasion, then?"

"The Death Eater meeting, of course," Draco said, fiddling with the sleeve of his shirt which was buttoned halfway up his arm, so she could visibly see the dark mark on his pale skin. "The Dark Lord will also be in attendance, as well as a few others."

Amora swallowed anxiously. "Draco, you know I don't like the meetings being here whilst we have Scorpius."

Draco moved to kneel down in front of her, his hands stroking her belly as the cat jumped up and left. One of his large hands took her arm and his thumb rubbed over a patch of skin that felt strange to her. Amora glanced down at her own forearm, paling at the sight of the dark mark on her. Her mouth felt dry as she looked back at Draco who placed a kiss there.