57. conspiring

TRAINING WHEELS
conspiring.

057

The Christmas holidays ended far sooner than Amora would have liked them to. She'd been enjoying the new year with Pansy, the two of them practically attached to the hip, so it was sort of a shock when the common room began to flood with students returning from the break one afternoon. Amora had been expecting their return, but the sudden laughter and chatter was enough to drive her back up to her dorm where it was much quieter.

"How was your Christmas, Amora?" Hannah beamed.

"It was great, thank you, Hannah," Amora replied truthfully. "How was yours?"

"Amazing! Look at the ring that my mother bought me!"

Amora spent the next half an hour or so gushing over her friends' new presents and catching up with them all. When she was sure she had been there for a polite amount of time, the brunette snuck away, out of the dorms and to the Gryffindor tower. She had some apologising to do. Apologies to make that should have been made ages ago.

It was funny really, because she had been doing the exact same thing this time last year. On the first day back at school, she'd used her first chance to go to find Harry to apologise for kissing him under the mistletoe. Now, a year later, it seemed as though she couldn't learn from her mistakes. She'd never made it to Harry last time, though, because Draco had stopped her before she could get there.

Draco didn't pop out of nowhere to drag her to some abandoned corridor this time.

Amora made it to the Gryffindor common room and snuck in behind a couple of second years, finding all of the Gryffindors moving about and greeting each other. She moved up to the boys' dorm, knocking on it and pushing it open. Harry was lying on his bed, Ron leaning against one of the posters and talking to him. Seamus and Dean were talking in the corner, Neville nowhere to be seen yet. All of their eyes widened on her.

"Hi guys," Amora greeted them all with a small smile. "Good Christmas?"

She received a general consensus of yes.

"Something you need, 'Mora?" Ron asked, smirking.

Amora inwardly groaned. She prayed Ron hadn't been filling Harry with false hope over the Christmas holidays. She'd told him when they kissed that she didn't like him the same way he liked her, and he seemed okay with it, but Hermione had shone a new perspective on things and now Amora just needed confirmation.

"I would like to talk to Harry, yes," Amora forced her smile.

Harry scrambled up from his bed and followed Amora out into the small corridor, closing the door behind him. "Yes?"

"We are okay, right?" Amora asked him worriedly. "I feel like I'm rubbing it in your face at this point, but I got a bad feeling. I don't want to ruin our friendship, Harry... I don't want you to feel led on."

Harry's smile faltered a little but he nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I understand. Crystal clear."

"And it can't happen again," Amora swallowed. "I can't lead you on or hurt you. I don't want to be that person, Harry. I really don't."

"Amora, I went in for that second kiss knowing you didn't kiss me the first time for the same reason I was kissing you," Harry breathed, "You're not that person."

I am. Merlin, I am.

"Okay," she mumbled anyway. "Okay... I just... Don't want to lose you, okay?"