85. the unbreakable vow

TRAINING WHEELS

THE UNBREAKABLE VOW

smut warning starts ** and ends **

On the verge of a panic attack, Amora tried to process what Professor Dumbledore had just said to her. She opened her mouth to reply, with what exactly she did not know, and nothing but a pathetic stammer came out. She watched the old wizard stand from his chair and move down the steps towards her.

Once his hand touched her arm to guide her through the doorway, blue eyes sympathetic, Amora felt as if she had defrosted a little, managing to swallow the lump in her throat at the same time as Dumbledore closed the door behind her. Now it was just the two of them in the large office.

"What - What do you mean you've been wondering when I would come?" Amora questioned, feeling her hands tremble as she slowly followed him over to his desk.

He slid back into his seat and gestured for her to take her own. Before answering, much to Amora's annoyance, he reached for a jar filled with yellow rocks and pointed them at her.

"Sherbert lemon?" He asked.

Amora shook her head. She was pretty sure if she ate one, it would be coming straight back up over her headmaster's desk due to nerves. Besides, she wanted him to get straight to the point. No dawdling about or riddles or old sayings she wouldn't understand. Why had Dumbledore been expecting her?

"I must say, Amora, I had been expecting to find you in my office far sooner than the beginning of January," Dumbledore admitted, "Although, I must say, it takes a remarkable amount of bravery to go against your friends and do the right thing."

"No," Amora blurted, "No, I'm not going against them -"

Suddenly, she froze. Dumbledore's words sunk in and Amora realised very quickly that he already knew why she was here. And he had been expecting her because he had known for a long time too.

"You know," Amora whispered, her eyes welling up with tears of fear for her friends. "Did he tell you himself?"

"Draco did not tell  me, although I am aware of his situation, yes," Dumbledore replied, "I of course assumed that you would be made aware of it too, considering your closeness with the boy."

"You know," Amora repeated, dumbfounded. "You know. So why is he still here? Why - why haven't you alerted the Ministry? Or kicked him out of school or - or sent him to Azkaban, even!?"

Dumbledore remained as calm and collected as always. It irritated Amora a lot that he could sit there and listen with no signs of true empathy or understanding. His pauses were too long, his eyes too kind, as if this reality didn't impact him.

"At Hogwarts, we vow to keep every child safe, Amora," Dumbledore answered her after a moment or two. "Draco Malfoy is a part of this school as much as you, or any other student attending, is. I do not believe that Draco poses a threat to the people around him; I am also aware this was not a consensual decision that he made. However, just in case, of course, I have somebody keeping a close eye on him."

"Someone's watching him?" Amora stammered, overwhelmed, "Wha- Who?"

"I believe Draco may have also told you about a teacher at Hogwarts who he believes is loyal to Voldemort," Dumbledore said, not pausing even when Amora flinched at the name. "However, Professor Snape can and must be trusted. I am only telling you this, Amora, because it seems you have managed to befriend both sides of this war, and that seems to put you in the middle of things."

"How - How can he be trusted?" Amora stammered, "He's a- he's a Death Eater!"

"He's a double agent," Dumbledore corrected her, "And I assure you will not tell a single soul this, for this is only known by the Order and a few others. If the news was to spread too wide, the Order would lose one of their biggest help during this war."