24. back to square one

TRAINING WHEELS—
BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

024

"Amora!" Leon grabbed the sleeve of her robe and tugged her down onto the bench as soon as she reached the Hufflepuff table. "Are my eyes deceiving me or were you just sitting with the Slytherins? And there wasn't a single screaming match?"

Amora rolled her eyes with a small smile. "Believe it or not, Leon, but they don't always flip their shit when they see a robe that's not green," she teased, "Besides, why would they? I'm sure they understood it was a privilege for me to sit at their table. I mean, look at me. I'd be happy to sit next to me too."

"Shut up," Leon grumbled at her joke. "Seriously, though. What was that?"

"Blaise helped me with some homework," Amora shrugged.

"I could have helped you," Leon whined.

"Well, Blaise offered," she shrugged, sipping at some pumpkin juice. "It doesn't hurt to expand your friendships. I know you don't really like to drift outside the Hufflepuffs and a few Gryffindors, but houses don't mean everything. There are some lovely Slytherins. You would get on well with Blaise, I reckon."

"He's too self-centred."

"You just don't like a little competition," Amora teased, "You're scared that people think Blaise is more attractive than you. Malfoy too."

It was common knowledge throughout Hogwarts that the three of them were the most attractive boys in their year group. It wasn't necessarily the most important or exciting news in a school full of magic and wizardry, especially when Harry Potter was in your year, but it was still a highly shared opinion.

"Please, they're barely competition," Leon scoffed, rolling his eyes jokingly as he dramatically flung his arm around Kathy's shoulder as she ate her food. "Besides, I don't care what anybody else thinks. I just care what Kathy thinks."

Amora turned to face Hannah and smiled sickenly sweetly. "Hi, Hannah. Just out of curiosity, who do you think is best looking? Leon, Zabini, or Malfoy?"

Hannah thought for a few seconds, her blonde brows knitting together as she thought. "Hmm. Maybe Leon."

"Ha!" Leon pointed a finger at her, his cheeks lifting as he grinned like a madman.

Amora rolled her eyes. "Zena?"

Zena winced. "Blaise. Sorry, Leon. He's just so... cool all the time. He's classy."

"Wha- I can be classy!" Leon seemed dumbstruck for a second. "Susan?"

The ginger-haired girl huffed in annoyance as she glanced up from her book. Amora looked expectantly over, genuinely curious to Susan's answer. Susan didn't talk too much about boys when they became the topic of conversation in the dorm-- she seemed to think they were a waste of time. Amora wished she thought like that sometimes, but when Amora was hooked on a boy, she was hooked on them. First, it had been Blaise for two or three years, and now it was his best friend.

"Maybe..." She blushed. "Maybe Malfoy?"

Justin roared with laughter from beside her, slamming his fist down on the table. "Susan and Draco sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n---"

He was cut off by Susan's hand smacking across his mouth immediately as she hissed at him to shut up. Amora chuckled quietly to herself, shaking her head. She never would have thought that Susan would have liked Draco out of the bunch, but she couldn't find herself to feel jealous about it at all. She knew Susan didn't have a crush.