116. the battle of hogwarts

TRAINING WHEELS

THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS

It all started on the Astronomy Tower. Amora argued it started in the library, but Draco always thought it was this spot where it all happened. The night of the Yule Ball, when he'd finally gathered the courage to kiss her. It wasn't perfect – in fact, the whole ordeal was quite pathetic and sad, actually, but it was where Draco had finally thought, 'fuck it, I have to have her' and gave into his urges. Sure, it wouldn't have happened without the library, but once he kissed her everything had changed. He could no longer ignore her weeks at a time, or pretend he didn't have feelings for her.

He didn't think he would ever come back here. Not after what had happened to Dumbledore less than a year ago. As he clutched the railings right where their old headmaster had fallen, he couldn't help but see the green flash right before his eyes, and hear the manic cackles of his deranged aunt behind him.

A hand on his arm brought him back. Reminded him of all of the late night kissing sessions or of how he would bring Amora closer to the edge and teach her not to fear heights. He glanced down at the girl curling up against his arm, resting her head on his bicep. Amora's dark hair flapped slightly in the wind as they stared out across the many lights of Hogwarts. From here, it didn't really look like chaos at all.

Draco didn't say anything. Now felt like both the best and worst time to really pour out a speech of how much he truly loved her, and he knew that she didn't want to hear it right now. They couldn't be emotional, not when the battle was so close to taking place.

Harry had disappeared in search of the diadem what felt like ages ago, and the rest of Hogwarts were rushing about, trying to secure the castle the best that they could. They were both terrified that tonight's efforts wouldn't be enough. Tonight, either Harry lost or he won. Draco himself couldn't imagine the pressure he was feeling right now. Potter must have it in the back of the head that either he saves everyone tonight or he dies trying.

"I thought this would be comforting before it all kicks off," Amora muttered stiffly. "It just feels..."

"Eerie," Draco finished for her, earning a nod of agreement. "I know. It feels like we should be doing something, but all we can do is wait."

Amora sucked in a deep breath. "Yeah. I... I think we should try and get the others down from the dungeons."

Draco glanced at her. "I agree. My only concern is, well, people like Crabbe, Goyle, and Greengrass being let out."

Amora was slightly worried about that too, especially considering how all three seemed to have a personal vendetta against her, but she would rather release all of the Slytherins and give them the choice. She knew the majority would make the right one. Besides, it wasn't like –

Her train of thought was cut off by sudden blue swirls shooting into the air. She felt Draco grow stiff beside her, their heads tilting upwards slightly as they watched beams of magic slowly trail up. It almost looked beautiful, like a firework display, and then they came crashing down and hit the defensive dome around the school. It caused vibrations through the grounds. Amora felt it in her bones.

"Holy shit," Draco breathed, stunned.

They didn't stop. They began to look less like fireworks and more like entire explosions, like lightning shooting and spreading and deteriorating the magic that the Order had set up. More and more came – hundreds, if not thousands, very, very slowly breaking away the invisible shield.

Amora clung to Draco tighter. "They'll be in soon."

Draco couldn't look away. He felt sick, knowing he could have been on that side. That his parents were probably on that side.