77. discoveries

TRAINING WHEELS

DISCOVERIES.

25 October 1996

The weekend came rather quickly, much to Amora's relief. It was a Hogsmeade weekend, only she didn't feel like going considering the fact that her old friends might already be there. That would be embarrassing. Instead, she sat in her dormitory all day, relishing in the way that it was empty aside from Kathy who had decided to stay to keep Amora company. Saturday felt like a blessing, and then Sunday came.

Katie Bell had been hurt. The rumour was flying about by the time lunch had rolled around, and confirmed by dinner when Katie's friend Leanne turned up with tear streaks down her cheeks. Amora had frowned in concern, her ears straining to listen to Susan and Hannah gossiping on the other side of Kathy. Something about a necklace and the Three Broomsticks, then something about Hagrid carrying Katie all the way back to the castle where she'd been transferred to St. Mungo's shortly later.

"It must be pretty bad if she ended up there," Amora whispered to Kathy as she stabbed a carrot with her fork, grimacing at the idea of eating it.

"Yeah," Kathy agreed, "It must have been an accident or something. I mean, I don't think Katie Bell's ever made any serious enemies? I know she's in the year above, but you know how drama floats about..."

Amora scoffed quietly. She sure did know how drama managed to get around Hogwarts; it was essentially a castle full of teenagers living with one another, after all. Some students had nothing better than to run their mouths, whether it was about classmates who had been cursed or secret relationships between students forbidden from being together.

Her frown immediately deepened at the memory of being so terrified of everybody finding out about her and Draco. Her heart began to thud as she recalled wandering the corridors alone after her very last DA meeting, tears streaming down her face as she contemplated leaving Hogwarts altogether.

Then Theo had brought Draco to her, and he'd cupped her face and told her everything was going to be okay. He'd said he was excited to walk into the Great Hall publicly holding his girlfriend's hand. Even did her shoes up for her because her hands were shaking too much, and told her he liked it when she smelled of his shampoo and soap.

Amora clenched her jaw at the painful reminder that it was all over. When they'd been locked in the library the second time, he promised her he'd never do anything to purposefully hurt her again. He said he'd do his best not to fuck it up, that he'd hold her as close as possible and not let her go. He was a liar. Draco Malfoy lied to her.

Was she surprised? Maybe only a little bit.

"Amora?" Kathy prodded her arm. "Um... Your carrot looks pretty inedible."

The brunette jumped a bit and looked down, surprised to discover that she had been crushing it beneath the metal prongs of her fork. She dropped it down to her plate and sighed, shaking her head.

"Sorry," she muttered.

"No need to apologise to me," Kathy hesitated. "Are you alright?"

"I'm perfect," Amora said, standing up. "But I'm not hungry anymore. I think I'm gonna take a walk."

The curly-haired blonde looked slightly worried, but nodded anyway. Amora began to leave the Great Hall, avoiding the Slytherin table altogether. She couldn't even bring herself to look over at it when she was sat down, and she actually hoped that they didn't notice her leaving the hall alone. Maybe they'd think she had no friends and would laugh at her.