108. lucius malfoy

TRAINING WHEELS

LUCIUS MALFOY

2nd January 1998

Amora missed her mother terribly. She even missed Mr Buckley a bit too. Christmas and New Years in a room at the Malfoys' wasn't the same, no matter how much comfort Draco attempted to provide her. Your first Christmas without someone was always meant to be hard, but this felt quite unbearable. She wallowed in her own self pity, mourning the family she wished she still had.

Some days were better than others, but whenever Draco wasn't popping in for his visit, she often remained beneath her covers, holding her pillow close and wishing the loving embrace of her mother was holding her back.

"Hey," Draco murmured, approaching the bed with caution. "I brought you hot chocolate. Are you warm enough?"

Amora peered over the covers at the mug in Draco's hand. It was steaming and topped with whipped cream and marshmallows. She felt a small tug at her heart as she sat up, managing a tiny smile.

"Thank you, Draco," she replied quietly, taking it off of him. "And yeah, I'm warm."

Draco sighed as he reached forward and brushed some of her hair backwards. "I wish I could -"

"Don't. Please don't finish it," Amora cut him off. "There's nothing either of us can do. It's okay."

Draco didn't say anything but sat on the edge of the bed, his eyebrows tugged into a deep frown. The death of Professor Buckley played over and over again in his head on an unwanted loop. The way she had looked him in the eye, how she had pleaded with Snape, the sound of her body smacking the ground with the flash of green light and then the final tears that still left her lifeless corpse.

  He should have done something. There was nothing he could do. But he should have tried harder. He should have tried to get Dumbledore to come up with a new plan where he didn't have to be the bad guy - where Amora wasn't here and her mother wasn't dead.

"Hey, you'll get wrinkles if you keep on frowning like that," Amora said, reaching across to smooth his forehead with her fingers. They were hot from the drink in her hands.

"There's something I think you should know," Draco said, not waiting for her response. "It happened right before Christmas. The day that Hogwarts students were coming home."

It was Amora's turn to frown. "What happened?" She asked worriedly.

"Lovegood," Draco said, "She was... taken. Off the train by Death Eaters. It's punishment for her father's articles in The Quibbler supporting Potter."

Amora placed her mug on the bedside table. "Oh, gosh. Is she okay? Where is she?"

"She's fine. Well, she isn't being hurt or anything. Lovegood's in the dungeons with Ollivander," Draco swallowed. "I've been checking up on them, giving them some extra food like I have with you, but that rat Pettigrew is always hanging around the staircase. I can never be there for long."

"Does Blaise know?" Amora asked him, "Poor Luna!"

There was nothing she could do up here. Wandless and trapped. Waiting for Harry to turn up so Voldemort could make a grand gesture of murdering her in front of him.

"I have  no idea," Draco replied, "I can't talk about stuff like that in letters with the others just in case... just in case the letters are found or checked at Hogwarts."

Amora gave a small nod, but then started to slowly shake her head. "What is happening to this world, Draco? This is... barbaric."

"I know," he murmured, stroking her back. "I'll -"