18. say it out loud

TRAINING WHEELS—
SAY IT OUT LOUD.

018

The rest of the Christmas holidays went by quicker than Amora would have liked. She'd owled Leon and Kathy a few times and Hermione once, but other than that, Amora remained tucked away in her bedroom, only coming down when her parents asked her to-- which wasn't too often. She didn't mention Harry at all in her letters.

She had a lot of alone time to think about what had happened between her and Harry in the Gryffindor common room in front of everybody. She regretted it immensely; she should have just cracked a joke and brushed it off, but now a good chunk of the school knew what they had done and it was bound to spread where The Boy Who Lived was concerned.

Draco was going to find out and, in all honesty, despite some of the reasoning behind kissing Harry being in spite of him, she didn't want him to. She remembered how he had said on the Astronomy Tower that the whole world didn't revolve around 'famous Harry fucking Potter' and implied that liking her had nothing to do with him, but maybe she had just gone and ruined that for him.

No, he ruined it by kissing her and then deciding to brush her off like it was nothing.

It was hard to continue to believe that he had been completely the only one in the wrong when she recalled the way he had desperately called her name before she left him, or the look in his silver eyes as he admitted, "I'm not good at this."

Perhaps she should have heard him out.

It was too late now-- Amora was apparently awful with boys and now she was simply going to have to face the consequences as she returned back to Hogwarts for the new year. The nine days they had off gone by like a flash, and Amora soon found herself unpacking her trunk in the Hufflepuff dormitory. It was empty as all of the other girls had yet to return, but they were due back any minute now.

"Amora Buckley!" She heard the door slam open and the hiss of Kathy. "Why did I just find out from some Ravenclaw that you and Harry kissed on Christmas Day! And why wasn't I informed of this?"

Amora felt herself grow pale. She whirled around from where she had been smoothing out her duvet covers, her heart in her throat as she watched the curly-haired blonde place her hand on her hips. She didn't appear truly angry; she was more shocked.

"What?" Amora whispered, her voice cracking, "Is it going around already? Classes haven't even started yet!"

Kathy frowned. "Well, apparently you kissed in front of half of the Gryffindors, so--"

"There was mistletoe," Amora rambled, running a hand through her hair, "and they were chanting, and I didn't want to embarrass him by rejecting him in front of all of those people..."

Amora failed to mention that she had partly done it for the adrenaline-- for the way that it made her feel in control and superior to Draco, even if he wasn't there. He was bound to find out now, though.

"Well, people are talking about it," Kathy mentioned casually, not seeing a problem as she moved her trunk on top of her bed opposite Amora's. "I'm sure people will stop once something more exciting happens. The second task is next month."

Amora didn't think she could handle a month of people talking about her. She found herself slipping her shoes back on and slipping her hair back into a low, messy bun on her way towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Kathy raised her brows. "I thought we were going to catch up--"

"Later, Kathy." Amora yanked open the door. "I have to go find Harry."