80. the dark mark

TRAINING WHEELS

THE DARK MARK

2nd November 1996

  Seeing as Draco and Amora had managed to make up on a Friday, it meant that they had the entire weekend to stay away from the rest of the school and relish in the feeling of finally being back together. It felt surreal, like a dream that Amora was terrified of waking up from. If it wasn't real, she wanted nobody to pinch her - she could stay like this forever.

"This is my favourite season," Draco murmured against her skin.

They sat in a large armchair, Amora practically curled into his lap. It was towards the very back of the library, right by one of the huge windows that loomed close to the high ceilings, giving them a perfect view of the snow settling around Hogwarts. Amora glanced away from the book in her hands that they had both been reading, realising he was no longer looking past her shoulder at it, but outside.

Some first years were messing around, only blurs in Amora's eyes as they hurled snowballs and ducked for cover behind some statues. She smiled a little bit at the sight, recalling the countless amount of snowball fights she had shared in the same space.

"It is?" Amora hummed, placing her finger in the book at the page they were on, allowing it to swing shut.

Since receiving her bookmark from Theo for her birthday, Amora had developed a habit for lever dog-earing her pages anymore. She could tell it made the him very happy to see.

"Yeah," Draco said softly, "It reminds me of the hot chocolates I used to get when I was younger, or snow walks with my parents around the manor gardens. Or how my father used to throw snowballs with me... And mother would always help me build a snowman."

Amora smiled at the image in her head. "That sounds really nice."

His hand that was wrapped around her was stroking her stomach, the other resting on her hip. She shifted a bit so that she could look up at him rather than looking out the window. He was looking out of it, silver eyes fixated.

"Of course, you prefer the summer, don't you?" Draco looked down at her.

Amora nodded. "I hated being cooped up in the cottage during the bad weather... Which is most of the time, because, well, y'know... it's England. But when summer came... I could actually go and play outside and swim in the sea and just, I don't know, have fun."

Draco imagined it was quite boring to be stuck inside Amora's home all year when it wasn't warm. At least he could roam the many corridors and rooms of the manor - she was probably limited to that tiny bedroom of hers.

The blond-haired boy eventually glanced away from the window, finding Amora staring out it also. He tapped her hip.

"Let's read more," he said.

Amora didn't say anything but reopened the book on the page that they had been on. Draco read along with her, his finger tapping her every time he was ready to skip to the next page. Luckily they both happened to be relatively fast readers, but they only lasted a couple more pages before Amora suddenly shut the book.

Draco frowned. "What -"

She shifted to face him, a sort of eagerness written all across her face. "Let's go and spend time in the snow," she proposed.

The Malfoy boy's face scrunched up a little. "Pardon?"

She grasped his wrist gently. "C'mon!" Amora grinned, "It will be fun. You spent time in the sea for me, now let's go and enjoy your favourite season before the snow goes away and it's too late."