9. draco the ferret

TRAINING WHEELS—
DRACO THE FERRET.

009

Amora's eyes flickered open due to a bright light shining in them, her brown orbs flinching at the sunlight streaming through the high windows and directly onto her face. Only then did she remember that she was still in the library, and realise that she was slumped against Draco Malfoy of all people, a stiffness to her neck that she was familiar with from falling asleep upright whilst reading. Her shifting caused Draco to move his head, his silver eyes blinking and confused.

"What the..." Draco's voice sounded deeper in the morning and he cleared his throat, sitting up straighter so that they weren't touching. "Oh, right."

"It must be seven at least," Amora insisted. "The sun's too bright for it to be any earlier."

Draco nodded in agreement, running his hands through his blond hair as he collected himself. He released a small yawn, about to say something when they heard the clicking of multiple locks. Their eyes widened simultaneously and they scrambled to their feet. Amora started to rush towards the exit when Draco grabbed her by the arm, yanking her backwards.

"What are you doing?" Amora questioned him. "Madam Pince is opening the doors--"

"Do you want us to get in trouble?" Draco looked at her as if she was stupid, tugging her by the sleeve of her robe even further towards the back of the library. "We can sneak out and if we don't get caught then we can get away with this whole thing. No points are taken away from either of our houses."

Amora looked like she was considering his idea, a small pout on her face. "But what about you telling your father? There's no point if you're going to te--"

"I won't tell him," Draco huffed. "In fact, I think it's best we tell as minimal people as possible, don't you? And we definitely tell nobody about..."

"The penguin thing?" Amora referred to them sleeping beside each other with a sly smile.

"Right. The penguin thing," Draco confirmed, looking down at her with a stern face. "I'm serious, Amora. If your roommates ask, you got sick or something and went to Madam Pomfrey."

Whilst Amora didn't think it was a big deal that she was stuck with Draco in the library, the blond boy clearly thought so, so she did her best to nod and respect his wishes-- even if it would have been a funny story to tell everybody. Draco sighed with relief at the brunette's agreement, and that's when the library doors were finally pushed open.

Draco held a pale finger to his own lips, warning Amora to be quiet. He held a hand on her wrist as he walked ahead of her, the two of them trying to stalk around the perimeter of the library as quietly as possible. They could hear Madam Pince at the desk of the library, most likely setting everything up for the day.

"She's not gonna move from the door," Amora whispered worriedly.

Draco closed his eyes with a regretful look on his face. He pulled out his wand and whispered a quick 'Wingardium Leviosa' on one of the books, lifting it up higher and higher and higher. Amora craned her neck to watch him slowly levitate the book aisles over, all the way to the other side of the library, and then he swished his wand and dropped it, a loud bang echoing on the other side of the silent room.

They heard Madam Pince's actions freeze before she took off rushing to the other side of the library. Draco grabbed Amora's wrist and the pair rushed towards the exit, breaths caught in their throats as if they couldn't believe that they were actually about to get away with it, despite being locked inside overnight not really being their faults.