23. surviving the snakes

TRAINING WHEELS—
surviving the snakes.

023

023

Amora coughed into the back of her hand, her eyes wincing shut for a moment before she swallowed thickly, exhaling through her nose. Her back ached from her position leaning over one of the library tables, books sprawled out in front of her as she attempted to master the Herbology essay that they had been assigned over the weekend. No matter how hard she concentrated on it, Amora couldn't wrap her head around anything that she was actually inking down onto her parchment.

Her eyes had started to feel heavy half an hour ago, her cheek nearly slipping off her hand several times as her brain started to shut down, preparing her for sleep. Last night, Amora had felt too ill to complete her Herbology assignment so she decided to sleep it off, only to wake up feeling ten times worse. Amora had rushed to the library to complete her work, but the common cold she seemed to be sporting was just pleading for her body to head back to bed.

One more foot, she kept telling herself, one more foot of writing and you're done.

The words were repeated so many times in her own head that they began to swirl and lose all meaning; sounding more like a lullaby to her exhausted head. She sniffled absentmindedly as she closed her eyes, this time resting her head down into her arms on the table. Amora figured that she definitely deserved a small break after hours of trying to deal with Professor Sprout's excessive homework, but the longer she stayed down, the more she realised her arms had never felt quite so comfortable.

Every time Amora attempted to lift her heavy skull from her arms, it was as if her body simply wouldn't let her. The smell of books and parchment soothed her pounding head into a small sleep, shallow breaths escaping her lips as her dark hair sprawled out across the table and her belongings.

She couldn't have been asleep for two minutes before she felt cold fingers rub against one of her arms. Amora mumbled under her breath, already totally disorientated. Her lips stammered out what was either Kathy or Hannah's name-- perhaps a mix of the two, she couldn't comprehend-- before she heard a dark chuckle that definitely didn't belong to one of her roommates.

Amora's head flung up and her cheeks heated up at the sight of Blaise Zabini perched on the end of the seat next to Amora, an amused expression written across his dark features. His pearly whites were set on display when he grinned at her, brown eyes flickering down to her parchment.

"Herbology is quite the bore, isn't it, Buckley?" Blaise hummed.

Amora rubbed her hot cheeks, offering him a weak smile. "Perhaps I shouldn't have left it so last minute."

"Perhaps not," he agreed, "I figured I would wake you up before the library closed for the night. Wouldn't want you to get locked in, would we?"

The brunette could only think of the time that it had happened to her and Draco all those months ago. How agitated they had been with each other at first before he was handing her his jumper and then allowing for her to fall asleep against his shoulder, his head resting on top of hers. That night had been the start of something new for both of them. Amora was glad that she had gotten locked in the library that night.