53. best friend

TRAINING WHEELS—

best friend.

Pansy and Amora chose a pretty open booth at the Three Broomsticks; two butterbeers on the table in front of them and a few bags next to Pansy's body. A couple of hours of shopping had gone by and Amora already felt better in herself. Draco hadn't been on her mind much at all-- it was actually hard to think about him when Pansy was yapping away in her ear and inspecting practically every item she drifted by.

"What about him?" Pansy whispered, pointing in the direction of a few older Gryffindors who were sitting around a table enjoying their drinks and some food. "Draco hates Gryffindors. That would make him more angry than anybody else."

Amora sighed loudly and rolled her eyes. "Pans, I already told you-- I'm not looking for some rebound or to make Draco jealous. I meant it when I said I loved him; I can't imagine myself with any other guy. Not right now, anyway."

"Fine..." Pansy sighed in defeat. "What about a girl?"

"Pansy!"

"Okay, okay, I won't keep on," the ebony-haired muttered, "But I mean it, Amora. I let you be sad for a week, but now you have to start getting over him. Draco's the most stubborn person I know and, I hate to say it, but he doesn't go begging for forgiveness from anyone."

Amora remained silent, thinking deeply as she reached forward and grabbed her Butterbeer, taking a long swig of it. Her brain barely processed the sweet flavour or how Pansy was still blabbering on, she was too busy thinking about the time Draco did come begging for her forgiveness. The day he asked her to be his in the hospital wing.

The same hospital wing that he proceeded to end things at.

"Hey!" Pansy clicked her fingers in front of Amora's face. "Enough of that depressing look on your face. It's starting to make me depressed, and I don't like seeing you like this."

"Sorry..." Amora muttered, attempting to block Draco Malfoy out of her head as best as possible.

It was going fairly well, the two girls conversing about nothing and whatever, until the boy Amora was trying to forget about walked in. Blaise and Theo were right behind him, the smiles wiping off of their faces when they saw Amora and Pansy.

Draco paused in his tracks. Silver met amber for the first time in a whole week. A painful, agonising week. Amora found herself ripping her eyes away from his before he did. She couldn't stand to look him in the eye, or even look at him at all. She heard him clear his throat before he carried on walking, the three Slytherin boys finding a booth on the other side of the pub.

"Arsehole..." Pansy muttered bitterly, "I swear to Merlin, just say the word Amora and I'll hex him so hard he'll go crying to his father."

Amora's face screwed up in anger. "Do you know what the worst part is?" She spat, her hand curling around her drink so hard that her knuckles turned white. "Is that he knows that I love him. I can't pretend I don't care, because that's literally the reason why we broke up."

Pansy huffed. "Yeah. That would annoy me too. Like he has the upper hand or something."

"And- And I would have been totally okay with him not feeling the same had he just let me down easily!" Amora continued, feeling her rage grow with every word that left her lips. "But no! He had to call me an idiot and yell at me and try to force me to leave. I mean, my ego is in no way as big as his, but it really knocked me down a peg or two!"

Pansy grinned, biting down on her bottom lip and rubbing her hands together. "I love it when you get angry. Beats Sad Amora."

"Yeah, well he's pissed me off," Amora huffed, slumping back in her booth and folding her arms. "Literally that morning he was kissing me and telling me that I was adorable or whatever! If he wasn't ready to hear it, he should have just said so."