Ch 45: Invitation For A Game Of Dice

Khandaprastha, however, was not only barren and semi-arid but it was also inhabited by the Nagas. They, the Nagas, had earlier been approached and befriended by Duryodhana and were consequently hostile to the Pandavas.

With the elimination of the Nagas, Krishna left for Dwarka and the Pandavas got down to their task of developing and building Khandaprastha. With their righteous behaviour and by dint of hard work the Pandavas soon transformed the barren Khandaprastha into a very prosperous land and named it ‘Indraprastha’ after the Lord of the heavens.

Duryodhana worried "The Pandavas had nothing. And now they are kings. Their kingdom is wealthier than mine and their reputation far greater." He felt inferior once again to his cousins"

Shakuni, who was privy to the thinking of his nephews, told Duryodhana, “I have a better plan. We invite Yudhisthira to a game of dice where, with my skill, I shall ensure that you win. This way we would get everything and an unnecessary war (and risk) would be avoided.”

Karna disagreed. “Defeating one’s opponents through unfair means is for cowards,” he told Duryodhana. “Crown Prince, you are the foremost warrior and as a Kshatriya you must establish your dominance on the battlefield.

As our vassals, we cannot declare war upon the Pandavas without provocation. Right now Uncle Shakuni’s plan is the best option,” replied Duryodhana

In a shrewd move, Shakuni got Duryodhana to prevail upon Dhritarashtra to send Vidura to invite Yudhisthira for a game of dice. Dhritarashtra, therefore, called Vidura and said, “I want you to go to Indraprastha and invite Yudhisthira for a game of dice with Duryodhana.

At Indraprastha, Yudhisthira received Vidura warmly. “Welcome, Uncle. Your presence here is an honour and a blessing.

I have come with an invitation from the king for a game of dice to be played between you and Prince Duryodhana,” said Vidura.

How very kind of him; I will certainly come over, Uncle,” replied Yudhisthira.

As I am also your uncle I would like to warn you: gambling completely destroys a person. Hence, I would advise you not to accept this invitation," said Vidura.

I appreciate your concern, I cannot dishonour an invitation from my uncle (the king) – that would be insulting him And in any case, one does not play to win or lose with one’s brother and we will stop after a few rounds.

It’s impossible to overcome the gambler’s itch. Once bitten you cannot stop until you are completely ruined,” warned Vidura.

I am a Kshatriya and I cannot refuse a challenge if it comes my way,” replied Yudhisthira, closing the subject.

Vidura returned to Hastinapur in frustration.

Kunti, their mother, had stayed behind at Hastinapur at Vidura’s insistence when the brothers moved to Indraprastha.

Yudhisthira was thus on his own, with no further check or guidance. Having made up his mind, he told Draupadi, “We are going to Hastinapur at the invitation of our dear uncle. It’s a good opportunity to see Mother and obtain her blessings, too.

Draupadi rued, “Oh, how I wish I could come along and obtain her blessings too. It’s been such a long time since I last saw her.

Why don’t you?

I can’t. I am dressed in only my ‘cheer-haran’ (a long piece of unstitched material) and can’t wear my upper garment,” replied Draupadi (she was menstruating).

You don’t have to appear in public,” replied Yudhisthira. “Come along.

Accordingly accompanied by his brothers and their wife Draupadi, Yudhisthira reached Hastinapur. At Hastinapur, while Draupadi, as she was dressed only in her ‘cheer-haran’ (menstruating), was taken and lodged separately in a room in another part of the palace, Yudhisthira and his brothers were escorted straight to the main gaming hall where the game of dice was to be played.