Ch 22: Stargaze

Yajna said "Do I have any other option?" and she sat on the dupatta. He sat next to her and lay down on the ground. "Tell me, what are we doing here?"

Nikhil pointed out the sky "we are going to stargaze"

"Seriously Nikhil, stargazing?" she lays down next to him. There was a few inches gap between them.

Nikhil asked "What is the meaning of your name Yajna?"

"According to numerology my name has to start with 'Y' and My parents name is Ajay and Nandita. They combined first two letters of their names 'ajna'" Yajna pointed out the shining star "That star is shining very brightly"

Nikhil turned to look at Yajna. She was staring up at the sky with a euphoric expression on his face "Yes, Just like you"

Yajna whipped her head towards his direction and stared in wide eyes "Haan? Just like me?"

There was a small silence between them "Nope, just like me" He praised himself

"Very funny" Yajna's eyelids grew heavy and she mumbled "Nikhil, I am sleepy"

Nikhil got up from his place and gave his hand to Yajna "Get up"

Yajna grabbed his hand and got up from the place. "What do you want to do now?"

Nikhil played a song "Tumse Hai from Jab we met" from his phone and said "Let's dance".

Nikhil swept Yajna into his arms. With his arms around her waist,  Yajna's arms around his shoulders, taking her another hand in his. They swayed side to side and moved across the Cricket ground.

Yajna felt "A strange, unfamiliar feeling settled in the pit of her stomach that quickens her heart beat."

When he spun around her. She fell into his arms. Nikhil breathed, sending warm air to her face. "Looking into his deep brown eyes, it was just the two of them in the world."

Her heartbeat has accelerated, and her cheeks are heating up again. He tucked her loosened hair behind her ear and his heart was trying to break through his ribs.

Nikhil's gaze moved to her lips and leaned in closer. Yajna's mind went blank at the thought of kissing. She stepped back as soon as she heard the fireworks in the sky.

Nikhil felt guilty for trying to kiss her. Yajna raised her hand to him and said "It's 12:00 Happy New year". Nikhil shakes her hand with the reply "Happy New year"

They looked at the view of fireworks together. Nikhil's phone buzzed. He checked Ankur calling him. Nikhil said "Let's go, I didn't tell Ankur I am came out with you"

Yajna grabbed her dupatta and followed him. Nikhil answered Ankur's call.

Ankur asked "Hello Nikhil, Where are you? I am outside your room."

Nikhil said "I didn't get sleep so I came outside for a walk. I will be there in 15 minutes. "

Ankur said "Happy New year Nikhil. No need to rush yourself to come."

Nikhil wished him back "Happy New year Ankur" and the phone got disconnected by Ankur

Yajna asked "Nikhil, Is everything okay? "

Nikhil said "I think he is a bit angry with me. I used to spend every new year with him"

Nikhil dropped Yajna in the front of her block and said "Bye". He turned to leave

Yajna turned around and took a few steps. She stopped and turned to call out his name "Nikhil.."

Nikhil stopped and looked at her. She ran towards him and said "Thanks for today. It was my best New Year ever" and kissed him in his cheek

Nikhil smiled at her and said "Good night"

"Good night" Yajna smiled and waved her hands at him