Ch 49: Jambul-akhyan

While in the Dwaita forest, the Pandavas, who were Kshatriya, lived off the deer in the forest. One day the deer king met Yudhisthira and requested him to spare his tribe, which was dwindling rapidly. He requested that Yudhisthira leave the Dwaita forest and go elsewhere. Accordingly the Pandavas went to the Kamyaka forest.

One day, while wandering through the woods, Draupadi saw a ripe jambul (rose apple) hanging from the Jambu tree. She plucked it to have it. No sooner had she done this, She saw Krishna "What have you done? You have contaminated the fruit,"

Krishna continued "This ripe fruit was supposed to break a sage twelve-year fast. It's been hanging for twelve years. Not finding the fruit at its place, could earn the wrath of the sage, resulting in more trouble for the Pandavas and her"

Draupadi begged Krishna "Please, help me out of this impending problem"

Krishna said "The fruit could be put back at its original place, if you open up your heart and confess to a secret that you have hidden from your husbands, the power of the truth will cause the fruit to join the branch once again "

Draupadi had only one option and to confess some guilt. Seeing no way out, Draupadi walked up to her husband’s and looked into the eyes of her husbands and said, “I love five of you. But I love a sixth too. I love Karna, the charioteer who serves Duryodhana. I regret not marrying him on account of his caste. If I had married him, I would not have been gambled away, publicly humiliated and called a whore.

This was a shock to all the husbands, but none said anything. They were not sure whether to be angry with Draupadi or be ashamed of themselves. They realized they had failed her individually and collectively.

Having revealed the truth of her heart, Draupadi had been cleansed. she went and put the fruit back on the branch of the tree and all was well.

After thirteen years of exile, the Pandavas were ready to return to Indra-prastha.

First, a priest was sent by the Pandavas from Matsya to Hastina-puri to ask for their land.

Duryodhana sent him back, claiming that while by the lunar calendar the Pandavas had completed the thirteen years of exile, they had not completed it as per the solar calendar. So they had to go back to the forest for another twelve years.

When Krishna finally met the blind king and his sons, things were not pleasant. Duryodhana told Krishna, "I will not part with Indra-prastha. I rule it well. No one wants the gamblers back."

"A word is a word. Whether you rule well or not does not matter. You promised to return Indra-prastha after the Pandavas endured thirteen years of humiliating exile. They have kept their word. You do too," said Krishna

"No," said Duryodhana.

"By going back on your word," said Krishna, "you have destroyed the foundation of dharma. By refusing to a compromise for the sake of peace, you have made yourself unfit to rule. You must therefore be destroyed." Krishna stood up and took his decision. "Let there be war on the plains of Kuru-kshetra between the upholders of civilized conduct and the followers of the law of the jungle. Let the earth be drenched in the blood of those who do not deserve her bounty."