ch 107: Rape of Draupadi

Note: This below story is based on bheel Mahabharata. The below content is not mine.

Nikhil researched about A rape of draupadi.the below content what he found.

Draupadi is having her siesta one beautiful afternoon in Hastinapura. Her maids gently comb her hair as she sleeps.

As they do so, a single hair from her golden tresses breaks off and comes loose. The maids are terrified and look at one another, their eyes full of terror. They fear for what would happen when Draupadi awakens and sees what has happened. Eventually they decide to hang the hair from the window, perhaps hoping the wind will carry it away.

And the wind sees the strand of hair and decides to play a prank. Storm after storm rush towards Hastinapura. The single hair dangling from the royal window is lifted up, carried far and dropped. But such is the weight of that hair that the earth is not able to bear it and splits open, giving way, and the hair floats down right into Patala where the king of serpents and the lord of the netherworlds, Vasuki Naga, has been asleep for twelve years and his queens, the Padma Naginis, are fanning him. As the strand of hair falls on the chest of the mighty king of Patala, unable to wear its weight Vasuki’s chest begins to quake and he wakes up in a shock. He picks up the hair and studies it – it is a woman’s hair. He springs up and goes to the seventh chamber in the basement, opens it.

The queens realize Vasuki is planning to visit the earth. They gather around him and ask him where he is going and he tells them he is going to the earth in search of the woman with golden hair. The Padma Naginis tell him not to get entangled with a woman who does not belong to him, that is a dangerous path, he will be committing a sin. They tell him each of them would keep him with her for twelve years in her bed and pleasure him. He tells them not to worry and promises he would just have a look at the woman with golden hear and would be back. Vasudi does the sixteen sringaras, and the queens move around him wailing aloud.

Vasuki mounts his horse, whips it, a dust-storm rises up as the horse takes off whinnying mightily towards the earth. They are now in a meadow on the earth. Vasuki pulls the reins of the horse and wonders where to go now. On a hunch, he decides to go westward. The horse flies like the wind. Soon large cities appear.

The king of Patala searches for the queen with golden hair in the markets of these cities. Eventually he reaches a lake on the outskirts of a city, decides to rest there for a while and dismounts. He is unable to rest, though – for in his mind is the queen with the golden hair. [It is a queen, and as such another man’s wife, he is searching for, and not a princess.] As he stands there, on the bank of the lake, searching far with his eyes, he sees yet another city in the distance: Hastinapura. He mounts his horse again, whips it and the horse starts fleeing. The bird of good omen calls and the king’s heart is filled with joy. In the royal gardens of Hastinapura, he ties the horse under a champa tree and gives it fresh grass. Then, whip in his hand, he starts merrily walking towards the cloud palace.

Draupadi is now sitting on a swing. The rays of the sun fall on her hair through the window. The light is reflected by Draupadi’s golden hair, and it blinds Vasuki for a moment. Such is his joy there are goosebumps all over his body. His feet quicken.

Draupadi sees him and thinks a guest has lost his way and is coming towards the queen’s apartments instead of going to the royal assembly. She sends her maids to show him the way. He ignores their directions, pushes them away roughly and proceeds towards Draupadi undaunted.

Seeing him approaching, Draupadi gets up to go to the inner chambers. But before she can do so, Vasuki swings the whip and lashes it at Draupadi’s thin waist. Draupadi runs, falls down, her scarf moves off her head and Vasuki realizes this is the woman he has been looking for. He rushes towards her and falls over her. Draupadi shouts at him and asks him to get away if he wants to remain alive, for the Pandavas would kill him if they come to know of his being here. Ignoring her words, Vasuki picks her up and carries her to her bed.