Chapter Twenty-two

Debby

Making my way into my office, I was surprised to see Mandi in there, sitting on her chair alone. She was looking through the papers seriously, her brows almost touching.

  “You're early today.”

  She jump in surprise when she heard me speak.

  “Hey, D. Wala na kasi akong gagawin sa school kaya nagpaalam ako kina Rafa at Hugo na mauuna na. The earlier, the better.”

   She passed me a stack of paper and smile.

  I raised my brow. “You finished this all by yourself?”

  She nodded. I was surprised she finished the whole month's papers just for a few days. She is really dedicated with her work, makes me admire her more.

  “Wala na kasi akong magawa. Tinapos ko lang.”

   She works so hard and I can't help but wonder if she still have a life outside this. I know she have her friends, pero is she enjoying this ba? Before I can change my mind, I stride towards her and said, “Hey, how about we ditch work and go out and eat that dirty ice cream again? My treat na dahil you're the most efficient employee I have worked with.”

  She shoots me a surprised look, but nod afterwards. Smiling, I slid my wallet and phone inside my pocket as I walk to the door where she is waiting.

  “Same park?”

   I nod and we walk silently towards the place.

  “So nasubukan mo na bang sumakay sa mga rides?” she asked as we walk into the cemented pavement, holding ice cream in each of our hands.

  “Nope, never. I am afraid of it.” I said as I enjoy my ice cream.

  It was true, I never tried riding any rides because of the fear of falling. Even when my brother forced me once.

  “Tara?”

  I look at her questioningly, and she pointed at the near amusement park. It was walking distance from here, it's rides are so clear to view, which made me sick in advance.

  “I don't know how to say this but I'm not a fan of rides.”

  “Talaga?”

  I shyly mutter a yes.

  Instead of dropping the offer, she stood up and gesture the park. “Edi, tara! Masaya ito, promise. Kahit isang ride lang, subukan mo. Promise, hindi ka magsisisi.”

  I gave her a look that says she's crazy but she's smiling widely at me. “No way, M. I'd rather dance in front of these kids.”

  “Masaya nga ito. Tara na! Kahit isa lang.”

  Her smile is still wide as she looks at me with hope in her eyes. I don't know what came up to me but I find myself nodding in surrender. “Fine. But if I die ikaw mumultuhin ko.”