Chapter Fourty Four

Debby

  I messed up again.

   And this time, she's actually mad at me.

  When we got to her lola's place, she didn't wait for me nor said anything to me. She just thanked my driver and went out of the car. She didn't even ask about the fish, which I put at the car's trunk inside a cooler I always bring. I knew she's mad when she didn't even spare me a glance on her way inside.

  I took the fish she bought and gave it to her grandmother, who looks confused. "May nangyare ba, apo?"

  I shyly nodded at her grandma. "I kind of made her inis, lola. Sorry po, I was being a brat kanina sa pinuntahan namin. Can I please talk to her?"

  Her grandma opened the door for me. "Pasok ka, iha. Pag-usapan ninyo ni Mandi."

  "Thank you so much po!" I said and went inside their home. I tried to look for her sa kitchen nila, but she's not there. I went sa sala and waited sa lola niya who went out. I feel kind of shy being inside her home. Pero I need to do what I must do to fix whatever this is that's going on between us. I saw one of the twins coming towards the kitchen so I called and asked asaan ang ate nila. They told me she's in her bedroom, which is the last room in the far corner of their house. I went there and tried to knock.

  "M? Can I talk to you, please?"

  No response.

  I bit my lip and knocked again. "Kahit one minute lang, please?"

  After a few minutes, she's still not responding. So I tried to knock again. "Please, Mandi? Let me talk to you, hun. I promise aalis din ako."

  And finally, I heard the door click. It slowly opens and I saw her in her sleeveless top and shorts. I tried my best not to stare at her up and down, not wanting to irritate her more. But damn, she looks so hot in her shorts.

  "Ano?" she asked, still mad.

  Ayan, Debby. So stupid. I'm always finding ways to make Mandi get mad at me.

  "I'm sorry, M. What I did was a bitch move. I shouldn't have let my jealousy push my buttons. I admit, what I did was kind of rude and I know I have to apologize sa kanila. I'm so so sorry, I'm sorry," I quickly explained, not wanting to waste my one minute.

  I saw her look the other way for a bit before turning to look up at me. "Pasok ka muna dito, mag usap muna tayo. "

  I blink, not sure if I heard her right.

  She's allowing me to go inside her room? She wants us to talk? Fuck, I might need a lot of strength to stop myself from devouring her inside.

  "Debby?"

  I snapped back in reality and went in as she says. I shyly walk towards her bed and asked if I can sit on it. She nods at me as she stood in front of me. Even if I've visited her before, I've never really went inside her room pa. I roam my eyes around and basked in the presence of Mandi. She has a lot of books piled in one of the table, most of it I recognized because I've taken up subjects like those in college and in special classes. I also saw her old guitar slumped beside her closet. I noticed a few pictures of her sisters, and faces that are not that familiar but I'm guessing it's her parents on a frame put up against the wall.

  It feels so new to be able to see this part of her. It makes me wonder how many things do I still don't know about her?

  I always say na I love her, but I can't name the animal she adores. I always say I like her, but I never have any clue what movies she enjoys to rewatch. I'm so bad at this thing that I keep on messing everything up. Maybe that's why they think Lewis is better than me. Maybe she's trying harder than I am. But it's not the end yet. Right? Mandi still single as far as I know. And I can still set things right.