Ch 172: Are You Free?

"Um. I see."

Mephisto hangs up and puts his phone in his pocket.

"You seem to be in a good mood." W asks, "Did things work out?"

Mephisto turns around to look at her, "How should I put it? It's a bit sad, to be honest."

He shrugs.

"Sad?" W raises her eyebrows.

She squints slightly. It's widely known that Mephisto was manipulative, and that caused her to stay on guard at all times around him.

"W, I'm just saddened by their passing. Those heroes sacrificed their lives for the greater good. Isn't that something beautiful?"

W tilts her head slightly.

"W, you still don't understand me."

"I don't want to understand people like you. You're not my type." W shakes her head, "So, how are the results?"

"That guy called Walker is dead," Mephisto says. "They killed the master playwright of Ursus. Now I really want to see how those who adore him will react when they learn of his death. I bet that would be quite a sight to behold."

"Aren't you just nasty?"

Mephisto shakes his head, "I just find it interesting."

W resisted the urge to scoff.

She asks, "Then, what about that man?"

"Who?"

"That guy called Walson."

Mephisto suddenly remembers, "Oh, thank you for that. I almost forgot about him.."

"He's the one that hired us." W asks, "What happened to him?"

"Probably dead. I told them I didn't want to see him again." Mephisto says, "I really hated that man. If it wasn't for the money, I wouldn't have bothered to help him at all. Still, I agreed to help him realize his second wish, that is, letting him cut off the head of his enemy personally. What I didn't tell him was that after he enjoyed the joy of revenge, our people would cut off his own head. Isn't that a great turn of events?"

W frowns.

Mephisto says, "Ah, you don't need to think too much about this. I just think my plan is a better script than his revenge tale."

"So, he wanted revenge?"

"Who cares?"

While W and Mephisto chat, someone knocks on the door downstairs.

"Oh? Our dear employer is here already." Mephisto smiles, somewhat creepily, "Let me greet him. Hopefully, he has what we want."

"..."

{Rhodes Island's Psychologis}

Mephisto descended the stairs alone and welcomed Cardo inside.

"Good evening.", Mephisto greets his guest a wide smile, "Do you have what we agreed on?"

Cardo nods and takes out a small notebook from his pocket, handing it to Mephisto, "We counted nine armed guards from Rhodes Island accompanying Silence and Ifrit."

"Nine? That's a lot for a pharmaceutical company."

"I already said Rhodes Island is not just some pharmaceutical company. This time, they only sent out an ordinary combat team, but we still can't underestimate them." Cardo asks anxiously, "Can you really deal with them?"

"If I say yes, what will you do? If I say no, what will you do?" Mephisto chuckles, "You can always find someone else to help you."

"..."

"Relax.", Mephisto chuckles, "As long as it's something we promised, we'll do it. We care about our employers' feelings, and will do our absolute best, so rest assured."

Cardo was hardly convinced by Mephisto's optimistic attitude, but the reassurance nevertheless causes his expression to ease up a bit.

"So, is there anyone we should pay more attention to?", Mephisto asks, "Someone you think would be harder to deal with?"

Cardo nods, "Yes. There's the captain of this team called ACE. He's a big guy, and he uses a shield." 

"ACE, alright. Is there anyone else?"

"There's a young man that I still don't know. He looks unremarkable and thin, but he's the only person in that group that wasn't wearing any armor."

"That doesn't mean much. I need more information."

"He was the only person that stayed behind with Ifrit," Cardo says.

"So?"

"You don't know Ifrit." Cardo says, "Her physical condition hasn't been stable. Back in the days, she caused a lot of accidents in Rhine Lab, and she almost destroyed the entire lab once. It was Saria who neutralized her when she was the director of our Biological Defense Department, the strongest fighter we had. She was the only one in Rhine Lab that could subdue Ifrit."

Mephisto squints, "You're telling me that this young man has enough strength to rival Saria in terms of combat prowess?"

Cardo nods.

Mephisto frowns slightly, "That does sound tricky to deal with."

"Do you know what to do with him?" Cardo asks.

"Easy." Mephisto smiles, "Just kill him."

{Rhodes Island's Psychologis}

"Achoo!!"

Lin Ye rubs his nose.

For some reason, he's been sneezing a lot more often in the past two days.

Did I catch a cold?

Anyway, Lin Ye looks back at his phone again. He'd been waiting for Skadi to answer his phone call for nearly a minute now.

"..."

It's almost time for the phone to automatically end the call. Lin Ye feels a bit disappointed, but fortunately, he didn't expect anything to begin with.

Just when he's about to end the call, a calm voice suddenly comes through from the receiver.

Lin Ye was taken aback for a moment. He hadn't really expected her to take his call.

He says, "Hello, is this Skadi? This is Lin Ye."

"..."

After a moment of silence, Skadi slowly asks, "Lin Ye? Why did you call? Did anything happen?"

"I have something to tell you. It's about Wave Leaping Strike."

"I see." Skadi says, "What do you want to talk about."

Lin Ye doesn't answer her right away. Instead, he checks his phone to see if it's malfunctioning. For some reason, there's a lot of noise coming from her side.

Is someone screaming?

"Are you free right now?"

"I am. Why do you ask?"

"But there's a lot of noise on your side. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing?"

"Killing someone."

"...Huh?"

{Rhodes Island's Psychologis}

Draft by Jaqqy10

Proofread by Demosama & PanzerComrade56

Edit by Jaqqy10