Ch 13: Why Did You Grab Her Tail?

What would someone think before their death?

Lin Yie didn't get to experience that. He died too suddenly, such that he was not mentally prepared for ending his twenty years old life and leaving behind the family he spent twenty years with. He thought that was it for him, but he heard his mother and her sobbing.

He opens his eyes.

Summer's sun is always so blinding.

(Please blow up, you big ball of fire...)

The sounds of cicadas surrounding him.

His mother is standing next to him, wiping tears with one hand and holding his medical report with another. He wants to hold her hand intuitively, but he notices how he has to look up to see her because he only has half of her height.

"Mom. Mom." His voice is surprisingly delicate, "Why are you crying?"

She wipes her eyes and forces on a smile, "Nothing. The doctor said you are very healthy. Let's go back home."

Then, she holds his hand, and we go and pass through a quiet alley.

The kids are curious and hyperactive and Lin yie wasn't an exception.

Soon, Lin Yie finds a snow-white stray cat looking for food. He lets go of his mother's hand and runs to the cat. She calls his name, but he doesn't listen and if he does he just ignore it.

The stray cat notices Lin Yie and turns around to leave.

"Kitty. Kitty." He calls, hoping the cat would wait for him.

His mother catches up to him and grabs his hand. She is looking really upset, "Why are you running? Do you want to hurt yourself?"

"But there's a cat, mom." He points at the trash pile.

"Stray cats are everywhere," She says, "What do you want?"

"I want to keep it," he tells.

"No." She rejects that right away and pulls Lin Yie away.

"But I can take care of it." still he stubbornly wants it.

"Take care of yourself first." She says, "With your health, it's hard to say if you are going to take care of the cat, or the cat is going to take care of you."

"But I can take care of it..." Lin Yie stubbornly says.

Unfortunately, Lin Yie couldn't get past his mother, and he was dragged away, but he still turned around take a last look at the white cat.

The cat stares at him curiously, its blue eyes shine like pearls.

...

Lin Yie opens his eyes again.

This time, he is looking at a white ceiling and smelling the familiar disinfectant.