Ch 148: What The Brat Desires

Three days later, Silence finds Lin Yie and Ifrit having lunch in the cafeteria.

"Dr. Lin," Silence pats Ifrit's head before turning to Lin Yie, "It seems I was right. Other than me, you're the only one Ifrit can trust."

Lin Yie pauses. He's surprised to see her.

He glances at the well-balanced meal Ifrit is eating and scratches his head, "It's not a big deal really."

Ifrit lifts her head and glares at him. She wants to retort, but remembering what Lin Yie told her before, she swallows her words and lowers her head to eat her "well-balanced" nutritional food. Putting it simply, it's just a plate of greens. She wants to puke already.

"Really?" Silence ruffles Ifrit's hair and asks, "Ifrit, shouldn't you be thanking Dr. Lin?"

Ifrit clenches her teeth, "Thank you VERY MUCH, Dr. Lin!"

Lin Yie smiles awkwardly and steals a glance at Ptilopsis, but Ptilopsis is just sipping her soup as if none of this has anything to do with her.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Three days ago, Ptilopsis told Ifrit that Lin Yie knew where Saria was, and at that moment, Ifrit's attitude toward Lin Yie took a 180.

Ifrit asked him to tell her where Saria was, but he had no idea. He only met Saria once, but before he could explain, Ptilopsis cut him off, "As long as you listen to Dr. Lin, Dr. Lin will tell you where Ms. Saria is."

Lin Yie almost facepalmed. What Ptilopsis did was no different than what his mother used to tell him when he was a kid.

"If you take this medicine, mommy will bring you to the zoo."

"If you get an A in the class, mommy will let you play video games."

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Logically speaking, this should only work on kids who haven't seen the world yet, but to his dismay, it worked on Ifrit. She agreed to Ptilopsis's terms without hesitation.

And so, in the next few days, no matter what Lin Yie said... no, he didn't say anything. It was just Ptilopsis using his name to order Ifrit around: "Go to bed before 11," "Get up before 9," "Don't just eat meat. Eat vegetables as well," etc.

Ptilopsis told Lin Yie that Ifrit's condition is similar to Liz's, but the difference is, Ifrit's physical condition is not stable. In order to prolong Ifrit's life, they have to make her eat a balanced diet and lead a normal life.

But...

Why did you have to use my name? Or rather, Saria's?

The answer Ptilopsis gave him was that Ifrit only listens to two people in this world: Saria and Silence.

She said, "After analyzing the situation, Ptilopsis concludes that the best way to make Ifrit listen is to use Ms. Saria's name, and you are the only one capable of doing that. Ifrit knows very clearly that I'm on Ms. Silence's side, but you are not."

Lin Yie wanted to say no, but considering Ifrit's health, he couldn't bring himself to do that.

And so, he would give his vegetables to her and take Ifrit's meat away.

Oh well, as a doctor, I have to take care of my patient.

... while eating her meat.

Anyway...

"Dr. Lin, I heard Liz left with Shining and Nearl for a mission?"

"Yeah."

"That's incredible." Silence says softly, "A month ago, she was trapped in that small room like a bird without wings."