Ch 124: A Shoulder To Lean On

There is no denying it.

Nightingale changed.

Or should I say, the Nightingale before and after her dream is like two different people?

However, everyone else still thinks that she's just tired.

...

Lin Yie has been waiting for Shining to return, ever since she left with Hibiscus to bring Nightingale back to her room.

Five minutes later, he sees someone walking up to him, but that's not Shining.

"What are you waiting for?" Nearl asks.

Lin Yie looks at her in silence. He's not sure if he should tell Nearl what he saw. After all, their relationship is still somewhat awkward. Even though the misunderstandings are already resolved, they still don't quite trust each other.

But before Lin Yie can shake his head, Nearl says, "If it's about Liz, then let's talk."

Without waiting for Lin Yie's response, Nearl begins walking toward the office building across from the nursing room. Lin Yie purses his lips as he stares at her back. After some hesitation, he decides to follow her.

Nearl suddenly says, "I know what you're thinking about." She slows down for Lin Yie to catch up, "You want to tell Shining about how Liz changed, right?"

"You noticed too?"

"It's hard to miss her changes," Nearl looks at him intently, "And Shining is not that dumb."

"You mean..."

"She already noticed that yesterday."

Lin Yie frowns, "Then, I shouldn't have used my ability on Liz."

Nearl stops in her tracks.

The operators walking past Lin Yie and Nearl glance at them curiously.

"That's probably why Shining didn't bring it up. In our opinion, especially Shining's, Liz's change isn't bad. It just shows that your ability is changing and saving her little by little."

Lin Yie pauses.

"Still can't understand?" Nearl looks up, "Your office is on the fourth floor, right? Let's talk there."

Lin Yie nods and walks to the front to lead the way.

In the elevator, he can't help but ask, "Why do you think Liz's condition is going in the right direction? Didn't you see how she looked? She was---"

"---confused," Nearl cuts him off, "We saw that."

"Then, I don't understand," Lin Yie says, "Kal'tsit told me that if anything abnormal happened to Liz, we should stop the treatment."

"Kal'tsit can sway 99% of the operators in Rhodes Island, but Shining is not one of them. If she decides on something, nobody can change her mind, not to mention Kal'tsit herself won't think Liz's change is bad."

Lin Yie is even more confused now, "Wait, what?"

"Dr. Lin," Nearl says softly, "Liz is a woman, an adult."

"So?"

"An adult shouldn't only think about sweets and relying on others," Nearl stares at Lin Yie, "That's what a girl would think, an innocent girl at that, but Liz is not a girl anymore. She went through too much. In fact, she became mature a long time ago. Otherwise, she wouldn't have survived this long."

Lin Yie falls into silence.

"Dr. Lin, I owe you an apology. If it weren't because of you, Liz wouldn't have recovered this much," Nearl bows slightly before straightening her back again, "But Liz is still far from a full recovery. It will take more time. Even though it's adorable how she only thinks about sweets, I have to admit, the Liz right now is incomplete. The real Liz survived the Sarkaz civil war. She just hasn't come back to us yet."

Lin Yie listens in silence.

Even though they have arrived at the fourth floor and the elevator door is open, neither Lin Yie nor Nearl is stepping out.

"Now we have enough evidence to believe that when you finally rescue Liz from her prison, the real Liz will return to our side."

Lin Yie feels his throat is a little dry.

"Are we giving up on the Liz we know right now?"

Nearl sighs, "You know Kal'tsit gave Nightingale a special medication, right?"

"Back in Lungmen?"

"Um," Nearl finally steps outside, "And Kal'tsit should have told you what it did."

Lin Yie nods.

"But she probably didn't tell you that the medicine she gave Nightingale was another type of tranquilizer. It could help Liz's mind become clear again."

She turns around and looks at Lin Yie, "In simpler terms, the Liz you know has the body of an adult, but her mind is still that of a kid."

"I still don't understand."

Nearl rubs her head and turns back to walk toward Lin Yie's office, "Just think about Liz's change like she's growing up."

"Growing up?"

Nearl stands in front of the door and turns around again, "Dr. Lin, we know you really like the current Liz. We do too. We also want her to forget her past, but we can't stop her growth."

Lin Yie pauses.

Nearl says softly, "She can't remain a kid forever. It's not fair for her."

Lin Yie looks down.

Nearl turns around and puts her hand on the handle, but she suddenly frowns.

"That's all I had to say," Nearl pulls her hand back, "I'm sure Shining will say the same thing as well." She turns around to face Lin Yie, "Dr. Lin, I believe this is also what Liz wants you to do. It's time for her to grow up. I'm going back now."

Lin Yie stands there in silence, even after Nearl is gone.

He's the only one left in the corridor.

...

Lin Yie can't think straight right now. The world seems to be put on pause for him. Everything seems still.

His chest suddenly feels tight, as his heart rate picks up.

The door is slammed open.

Lin Yie rushes to the windows and pushes them open. He takes several deep breaths, trying to calm himself down with fresh air.

...

After a while, Lin Yie feels his chest is no longer as tight as before. He pants and turns around.

Skadi looks at his pale face in silence with her arms crossed, while leaning on her great sword.

Lin Yie stares at her in surprise.

Her red pupils shine brilliantly in the sunlight, as it illuminates her perfect face.

She says in a soft voice, "Do you need a shoulder to lean on?"

-----------------------

Draft By Demo

Proofread by PanzerComrade56