Ch 66: Promotion

"Recruitment?" Lin Yie feels surprised, "Do I have the authority?"

"Of course." Kal'tsit takes a sip from her black coffee and frowns slightly because of its bitterness, "Every department head can recruit people, although the final decision is made by either Amiya, Doctor, or me. However, if the candidates come from Rhodes Island, this process is negligible."

Lin Yie is confused, "How do I recruit people from Rhodes Island? Don't most of them have jobs already?"

"That's true for most." Kal'tsit says, "But Rhodes Island allows side jobs. For example, Orchid worked as both a human resources manager and a counselor. And there are many other examples like her."

Lin Yie nods.

If this were to happen in his previous life, Rhodes Island would definitely be one of those unethical companies.

"Of course, you can recruit from the outside, if you deem that necessary." Kal'tsit says, "But then again, your candidates will need to be approved by one of us."

Lin Yie shakes his head, "I don't need any assistants. It's not a hard job."

Kal'tsit smiles ambiguously, "Are you sure about that?"

Lin Yie falls silent. He is reminded of the two devils he has to take care of.

"If you are confident that you can deal with your work alone, we won't force you." Kal'tsit says, "But you didn't experience the true Rhodes Island. When you joined us, more than 70 percent of the operators were out for either missions or errands. And there are probably people from this group that need your help. You will only have more work."

Two devils aren't enough, and there are more?

Lin Yie takes a deep breath and asks, "How many can I recruit?"

"Three." Kal'tsit says, "You can start recruiting when you return."

Lin Yie nods, "Thank you."

"No need to say thanks." Kal'tsit shakes her head, "We let you have this much power, even though you just joined us, because we acknowledge your talent, and we want you to shoulder more responsibilities. Shining already told you before that Rhodes Island has many patients of mental illnesses. They may look fine on the surface. That's because very few or maybe no one has been able to see their true selves. However, it's not a problem for you. Your ability allows you to be their savior in some sense. And I hope you can save more people like what you did to Nightingale."

Kal'tsit's words make Lin Yie feel the burden on his shoulders just got a lot heavier. It also feels like when pet owners begged him to save their pets back in Chernobog.

Uh, is that metaphor inappropriate?

"I will do my best." Lin Yie nods seriously, "Then, when can I go back?"

"No need to rush." Kal'tsit takes another sip of her coffee and says slowly, "You haven't stayed in Lungmen for that long. Maybe you were shocked by what happened."

"I'm fine."

Kal'tsit nods, "Then, there's more reason for you to not rush things. Although my plans were ruined, there are still things to do. I still need to perform physical examinations on Nightingale, and you need to take care of Ifrit until Silence is back."

"Alright." Lin Yie asks another thing, "By the way, the drug you gave to Nightingale..."

"Did she use it?"

"Um. She did." Lin Yie hesitates, "She changed entirely after using it."

"More calm and rational, right?" Kal'tsit says, "That's the original Nightingale. I don't have a way to restore her memories yet, but I can use medication to stabilize her mind and restore her original self. Even though I am not sure that's a good idea, my intent is to give her away to defend herself and others in dangerous situations."

Even though Kal'tsit didn't say much, Lin Yie could understand what she meant. He suddenly feels depressed.

"Therefore, her treatment still needs you, Dr. Lin." Kal'tsit says, "We hope you will protect her."

"I will."

"Um. Then, that's it for today." Kal'tsit finishes her coffee and sets her cup aside, "I need to work now."

Lin Yie nods, but before he leaves, Kal'tsit stops him.

"Lungmen invited us to a party." Kal'tsit says, "If you feel bored, you can go with us."

Lin Yie is confused, "Party?"

Kal'tsit says, "They need to explain to us after what happened."

"Alright."

"You can also bring those two with you." Kal'tsit says, "Ifrit might not care, but Nightingale should be looking forward to that, right?"

Lin Yie thinks for a moment and nods, "I will ask her later."

Kal'tsit puts on her white coat and starts working. Lin Yie stands there for a moment. After making sure there is nothing more to talk about, he leaves with his backpack.

Recruitment. Recruitment.

Lin Yie has been thinking about that on his way back to his room. When he reaches the elevator, he sees a familiar sight and runs after it.

"Yato, wait for me!"