Friends Not Lovers

You watched as the host club members sat in front of the door to greet the first wave of guests. Today the host club dressed up in Arabic outfits for the guests. You rolled your eyes and put the pie you were making in the oven. Soon the doors were open, and they welcomed the guests, but you heard a thump at the door. You thought it was another girl who fainted at the sight of them, so you grabbed a wet rag and started walking to the door. You were surprised to see a little boy sitting in the doorway. 

   ' That's interesting. '

He had brown hair and blue eyes. He was shocked at seeing the hosts. You walked back to the kitchen and set the rag down, and stood by the unopen door to listen to what was going on. 

   " Oh, It's just a kid. " Hikaru said, losing the pose.

   " Not only that, it's just a boy. " Kaoru said, adding on to Hikaru's sentence.

   " What's wrong, little boy? Did you come to my palace in search of something? "

   ' Tamaki is really deep into his role as the Arabian king. Isn't he? '

   " Uh, are you the king of this place? " The little boy asked.

I looked at him and our eyes connected. I gestured for him to walk further into the room, and he did. I closed the door behind him, and we both started walking closer to the hosts. We still stood a couple of feet away from them, and it seemed Tamaki wanted him closer. 

   " Come closer, lost one. "

The young boy looked at me and took my hand in his. Then, he walked further towards the hosts and now stood in front of them. I could tell the kid was putting up a brave face but was a little nervous hence, why I let him hold my hand.

   " What was it that you just called me, little boy? "

   " The king? "

   " Aah, the king! Yes, I am the king of the Ouran Host Club! Long live the host king! "

Tamaki went into his own little world happy that he was acknowledged as the king. You gave Tamaki a tired face and crouched down to the kid's height. You tugged on his arm, and he turned towards you with his eyebrows raised.

   " Just tell me everything. He'll be out of his dream in a minute or two. "

   " I'm an elementary fifth year, Shiro Takaoji! "

He yelled his name out like he was standing up for himself against a bully. It nerved your balance on your feet, and before you could fall back, Tamaki came behind you and grabbed your shoulders. He pushed your shoulders back, where your back was touching his legs, and he kept you balanced in your crouched position. You looked back at Shiro with Tamaki's hands still on your shoulders.

   " I want the host club king to take me on as an apprentice! "

   " What? "

As he finished up his sentence, other girls started filling the room. Tamaki pulled you up by your shoulders and stood you up straight. Your hand still connected with Shiro's, and it was small. 

   " Hosts I think we can hold off on the Arabian cosplay today. Change into your uniforms. "

The hosts ran off to change and came to attend to their guests. Tamaki took Shiro from me and walked to a table and chairs. I shrugged my shoulders and walked back to the kitchen to take the pie out, knowing it was baked fully. I put gloves on my hand and took the pie out, and set it on the counter to cool. I took the gloves off and started mixing the filling for the next pie.

   " You know I find something interesting. "

You jumped and turned around. Kyoya was leaning against the counter and writing in his notebook as he was looking around the room.

   " What is? "

   " Tamaki and you have gotten closer. Do you have any idea why? "

   " Friends? "

   " I'm not so sure. "

   " Why? Tamaki and I have been doing normal friend things. "

   " Tamaki doesn't usually visit anyone before classes. I heard he paid you a visit one time and was said to lean against your desk. Someone said you two looked comfortable. "

   " Who did you hear that from? "

   " Gossip goes around quick. "

   " Well, yes that did happen. But it's what friends do. I visit Haruhi and the twins in their classes. Honey and Mori walk me to my classes sometimes too. I don't see anything wrong with it. "

   " Alright, then what about the fact you two danced at the ball? "

   " It was a way for us to talk and become closer friends. "

   " And the twins like to say they are going on a date with you to bring him back down to earth and it works? "

   " He does the same thing to Haruhi. "

   " He worries about how much time he spends with you through the day and worries over the fact that the twins have more time with you than the twins? "

   " He always calls the twins shady and worries that they will influence me like Haruhi. "

   " Worries over you and Onishi. "

   " Same thing with the twins. He doesn't know Onishi and worries that I will be influenced badly. "

   " He was worried for you when you overworked yourself and passed out. He even stayed in the nurse's office to make sure you were okay. "

   " Friends worry for each other. "

   " Then there was that day where you were not at your best and he ran after you to cheer you up. "

   " Friends do that. "

   " He calls you princess. "

   " Along with all of his other guests. "

   " But he never tells him that he is their prince now, does he? "

The flashback of Noya Sora came back to you. Ever since that day, she had been pestering you to leave Tamaki alone, and Kyoya was right information travels fast. You've told her countless times to leave you alone, but it never seemed to work. Even in the halls, she would trip you here and there. You looked down at the bowl you were mixing, and your heart started to hurt in your chest. Like it was stuffed with anxiety.

   " It's nothing Kyoya. It's best that it's left alone. We are friends and that is all, I'm a guest to him. "

Kyoya looked up from his notebook and took notice of how your demeanor changed from calm and happy to sad and depressed. He looked down at his notebook. He was on your page of information. He looked down at the notes he was taking and the theory he had. Then he looked at the information, his eyes stopping on your parents. He felt bad for you, not like others would. He felt bad for you because he understood the feeling you were feeling. With the stress of school and gossip going around, he knew people would be talking. 

   " I'll drop it for now but we need to talk later. "

   " About what? "

   " Some information I hope that is wrong. "