69

-Kaisa-

"Hey, Levi?" My throat aches from each word.

Levi lifts his head, "Hm?"

"Where's Emma, Norman, and Ray?" I wonder aloud.

His face drops before his eyebrows crease—his face expresses confusion, remorse, then worry. The sudden change in behaviour berates me for being insensitive.

"Kaisa..."

I probably should not be playing this kinda joke right now.

"I'm just kidding, I know they're dead." I respond, turning to face him properly with a small smile.

His tone changes, "What the fuck? So do you remember shit, or not?"

"Yes, I believe I remember everything up until now." I nod.

He scoffs, pushing off his legs to rest back in the chair with crossed arms, "You're lucky you're crippled otherwise I would have made sure to break your legs."

I pout, "Well that's not a very nice thing to say to someone who just woke up from a mini coma!"

"You are unbelievable."

He turns his head away from me, anger written all over his face. Maybe I did push his buttons a little too soon after waking up. According to that nurse, it's been a couple of days since the Rod Reiss situation and the Survey Corps was awaiting my awakening to continue with the royal proceedings. Apparently, Historia is about to become a queen; how exciting!

Refocusing on the man in front of me, my voice quietly comes out in an apologetic manner, "I'm sorry for tricking you into thinking I forgot some of my memories..."

He gives me a pointed look.

"...and for doing something when you told me not to do it..." I continue.

His furrowed brows don't relax and I tilt my head in response, "What else is there to apologize for?!"

"For dropping fucking dead for three years." He scowls.

"That's not something I can control, idiot."

"Learn how to, then."

"Are you seriously having this conversation with me right after I've gotten up? I was just trying to lighten the mood." I express, confused and somewhat annoyed. I didn't know the extent of my injuries, so I never thought it'd actually have such a large impact on him.

"Yes, I am, because-" His voice cuts off itself.

Levi looks to the side before swallowing, carotid tensing visibly before bringing his eyes to me. Sighing impatiently, he leaves me lost and unsure of my own observations on how he's feeling. He quickly turns over his shoulder to the window, doing what I believe is checking if it's open and afterwards, checks the door before finally facing me one last time. Dazed and bewildered, I stare back at the flustered man in front of me. Watching him wipe his hands on his pants, he finishes his fidgeting symptoms before words softly leave his mouth.

"Because—"

Levi curses at himself slightly, taking another breath, "Because I care for you."

I blink before smirking, "Oh? Did Captain Levi get some emotional guidance from his favourite scientist?"

"Four-Eyes? I'd rather die." He begrudgingly responds, uncomfortably shifting in his seat.

Although his body language betrays the words coming out of his mouth, I let it go. Instead, I pull the blanket resting on top of me off as quickly as I can, which admittedly, isn't very fast. Moving towards the edge, Levi's hands reach out to put me back into bed, but I softly catch his wrists before he touches me. I give him a small smile and instead, putting our arms down between us while giving small tugs. He catches my drift, dropping my hold before picking up the chair he's sitting on, pulling himself closer to the bed.