13

-Kaisa-

3 days passed since I opened Levi's gift for me, and I still hadn't figured out how to use the small blades yet. I was frustrated with myself because of it, but I had too much pride to go to Levi without figuring out how to actually use it. To get my mind off the issue, I decided to head to town to get my errand done.

So that's what I'm doing here.

Being a public figure in humanity's attempt for freedom had its consequences—getting around town was difficult and almost always ended in kids wanting to get to know you. Their eyes would glimmer every time I promised to keep them safe, even though I knew it wasn't completely possible. They would bring their arms up to their chest and listen intently to all of the stories about training with the cadets. It was like they got to see the outside through our eyes, and I wanted to bring them that freedom.

It's why I was crouching down in a conversation with this young girl and boy. Her dress flew with the wind along with her pigtails. She has a flower sat on the right side of her hair and her friend wore a white shirt and brown pants while carrying firewood on his back.

"I-I know your name is Humanity's Tempest...but, can I know your real name?" She looked at me with pleading eyes.

I smile down at her and lean closer to their faces.

"I'll tell you...but only if you promise you won't tell anyone my secret identity." I wink.

The two kids lean in closer to me and the girl twirls her hair around her finger.

"It's Kaisa." I gleam.

"Kai...sa." They respond with amazement.

"I wish my name was Kaisa, then I'd be brave and strong!" The girl frowned.

"Don't live in someone else's shadow. Make a name for yourself! Make your name strong and powerful, you're the only person who can do that!" I encourage.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Anna, and he's Michael." She points at her friend.

"Well, starting today, Anna is the name of a hero!" I yell, getting stares from those around me. I pay them no attention, kids were the one innocent thing in this world and I was going to make sure they stayed that way for as long as possible.

Her eyes brighten and she grabs her friend's arm, shaking it.

"Do you hear that, Michael? I'm a hero now!" She freaks out.

"Mmm." Michael nods.

I turn to him and place my hand on his shoulder.

"You don't talk much, but I'm sure your thoughts are whizzing around right now. That's perfectly okay! Just remember that you, too, can become a hero. I'm looking at Humanity's future Strongest and Tempest right here." I look into his eyes.

He stares back at me with a slight smile and his eyes burn into mine as if to tell me he'd work hard to get there. I stand up and place my hands on my hips before beaming back down at them with a grin on my face.

"Well, I've got to go now. But remember! It's our little secret." I wink.

They nod their heads rapidly before running off, waving back at me.

I wave back at them and return to the task at hand. I make my way down the street and I acknowledge that I probably look crazy since I'm looking for a specific shop. I turn a corner or two and continue my journey a little bit before I come across a small shop with a leaf next to the logo.

I actually found it!

I walk into the store and a chime rings throughout the small room. An elderly man who was reading his paper sets it down and looks up at me.

"Hello, miss, what can I help you with?" He smiles.

"Hi there! I was wondering if you could help me find a specific leaf." I inquire.

"Of course, what did you have in mind?" He answers.

"Yellow Gold."

-Levi-

"Today, Anna is the name of a hero!" I hear a voice yell behind me.

It catches my attention, so I direct my attention to the commotion. There sat Kaisa and two kids, one of which seemed to be ecstatic about something. Kaisa's face lit up at the two of them as she continues their conversation, and she seems to be enjoying herself. I let a slight smile show—Kaisa always had compassion for kids, especially those who seemed lost.

Kaisa stands up and I take that as a queue to continue on with my shopping to avoid any conversation. She hadn't talked to me about what I left in her desk, but I didn't really care. It wasn't my business to give her something that other soldiers didn't have, but, knowing her recklessness to save others, it was best that she had it on her. Maybe she hadn't figured out how to use them and was too prideful to even ask me questions about how to use it.

I pick up an apple from the stand in front of me before leaving a bronze coin on the tabletop and head off back towards the dorms. It was quite weird to see Kaisa acting so kind, especially because she treated those around her with a sarcastic and somewhat cold exterior. I had no idea why she was so personally involved with keeping everyone safe and took every death to heart. She wasn't one to show her emotions in front of others, but after walking back to my room a couple of times after expeditions, I could hear the quiet sobs through the door.

I never said anything about it—there was a reason why she let herself go early in the morning. Recently, though, I hadn't heard from her room so I wonder if it was just her moving on or if it was because she became accustomed to losing people eventually.

No, it couldn't be those things, I think to myself.

Maybe she was going somewhere at night.

I stopped walking as the realisation hits me.

She was going somewhere at night.