8

-Levi-

Commander Erwin led the centre section of the formation and occasionally turned his head to the red flares released around us. He paid little attention to the red ring of smoke above our heads. I raised an eyebrow but kept my mouth shut because there was nothing to be said.

"Commander! The right wing has almost been wiped out and only four cadets are remaining." A soldier called out while riding towards us.

Behind him were four horses and faces laced with concern. Only four cadets left? What happened to the squad leaders who accompanied them on this expedition? It strikes me.

Kaisa...

I clear my throat and turn towards Erwin waiting on a response regarding what to do next but nothing came from him.

"Please help us! Captain Dita and her squad are wiped out completely and Kaisa is facing at least ten titans on her own right now!" A black-haired cadet pleads.

"Levi, assist them in their return to the right wing." Erwin commands.

I don't respond and instead turn my horse towards the right wing, leading the four cadets back to their zone. The grip on my horse's reign's get tighter and he moves faster towards the titan festival in front of me when two black flares are released. The plain fields were the worst areas to engage with the enemy as our gear were rendered useless, and now we have to fight an abnormal.

"Shit." I growl.

"Use your brains, don't be a hero, and don't die." I instruct as we pass titans littered on the grass.

I don't receive a response and turn around to see the cadets with their mouths slightly agape before acknowledging my directions.

The environment gets warmer and more humid as we approach the site of action. Grey clouds block our vision and my chest tightens in concern for my comrade—I didn't want to lose another one to these naked shitheads.

A cry is heard in our desired direction just as I break through the wall of smoke.

Her body twists with vigour and she lets out another exclamation as she drags her blade through the flesh of her next victim. She leaps off the falling body and launches herself using her gear to the titan which attempted to grab her. Kaisa's appearance seemed smaller than usual from the distance between us, but she kept going.

Encouraged by her incredible strength, I prepare myself to engage in battle alongside Humanity's Tempest as the cadets behind me disperse to fight their own war. She falls with the tian she's just slain and I can almost hear her deep gasps for air before she hooks herself into the giant next to her. I bring myself to the same one, crossing paths as we both swing towards the same destination: the nape of the titan's neck.

We lock eyes and I display my usual deadpan expression while using one blade to drag across my side and see that she's mirrored my action. We follow through with our swings and the titan drops to the ground as we twist ourselves to face each other hanging in the air. What should be a quick moment is frozen as we float. Blood trickles down her forehead and her clothes drip red. Before I know it, we're free falling.

We crouch as we land and quickly stand up seeing that we have no time to waste. We whistle for our horses and the once annoying sound of hooves hitting the ground is the perfect soundtrack for a rescue.

"Shit, they're not gonna get here in time." Kaisa worries.

There aren't any routes of escape, and there aren't any trees surrounding us. The titan approaches quickly behind us and I smirked at her.

"Ready to play piggyback?"

She catches my drift and we both use our grappling hooks to dig into each shoulder of the titan and propel ourselves to stand on its back. Kaisa lifts her blade to slash its nape but I put my hand in front of her, preventing her action.

"Wait until I say so." I instruct. Her eyes roll and she shoves her blade back into their holster before searching around for what I'm assuming are her cadets.

"Nononono" She screams before disappearing. My eyes widen slightly—I never got used to her speed but followed the trail of pressurized gas behind her seeing that she made her way to a cadet in the hands of a titan.

"Shit." I curse under my breath as I see the horses below my new airheaded bitch. I slice its nape and flip forwards, landing on my trusty stead. I yank Grace's reigns and immediately start heading towards the commotion while escaping the herd behind me. Almost instantly after slicing the titan's neck, Kaisa swings back cutting the its hand before twisting back to pick up her cadet. I watch in appreciation of her skill and soon arrive at her destination.

"Captain! Thank you so-" The short haired cadet from earlier began.

"Where's your horse? I told you not to be a hero." She yelled.

"He was grabbed by a titan and thrown across the hill." She whispered.

Kaisa whips her head upwards at me with concern and once again I don't respond before Kaisa begins her orders.

"Mina, you're gonna get on Grace and you're going to get the hell out of here. Lead the rest out and head back to Erwin." She instructs, lifting her soldier on the horse.

"What about you? How are you going to get back?" Mina questions, grabbing the reigns.

I interrupt their discussion. "She'll ride with me."

Kaisa ignores my offer and instead gives Grace a little tap, sending Mina off without any confirmation. I lend her my hand which she grabs, and I pull her up as she settled behind me.

"I'd ask you if you're comfortable, but we don't have time." I say as my horse kicks off.

Kaisa lets out a squeal and wraps her arms around me, leaning against my back while clutching the front of my shirt. Her warmth transcends the clothes between us, but so did the disgusting blood of those titans.

"You're absolutely filthy, Kaisa." I remark.

"Levi, you shut your mouth before I feed you to one of those zombies." She groaned.

I raise an eyebrow at her comment but didn't push it any further. She must be completely spent after all the fighting she engaged in. I take notice of the trail of titans on our way back and I feel a sense of pride knowing that I've managed to create this monster. In my admiration, the grip on my shirt loosens and the once heavy breaths fade. I tilt my head slightly over my shoulder to see her face relaxed and pressed into my back.

"Tch, you decide to fall asleep now?" I mutter.

Then I see it.

A blue flare.

--

hi hey hello!

3 chapters in 1 day! i don't even know if i'm talking to anyone when i write this, but in case i do, thanks for reading :)

let me know if you like this chapter or have any other suggestions!

much love and take care,

~cendiain