7

-Kaisa-

Aligning ourselves in front of the gate, Erwin stands atop of us on a platform. Every soldier is now in their positions and the surrounding faces are comprised of three different expressions: determination, carelessness, and fear. It seems to me that all of the cadets feel like they have something to prove, when in actuality they may get themselves killed. One can only hope that their squad leaders informed them to avoid all contact with titans if possible, but by the looks of it, it seems many cadets will deviate from that plan to show off. Idiots.

After Erwin's instructions, he sits on his horse and the gates of Wall Rose rise as we scream out to begin the 54th expedition outside the walls. Not a single squad leader understood the purpose of this expedition, but it wasn't our responsibility to figure that out. Grace gallops along the grass and I call out to my team to ensure that everyone is following my trail. The trees tower over us and are dispersed across the hills in our desired direction.

There's an echo from a shot on the right side of the formation which captures our attention. Then another is heard before it competes with another flare in the air—all three of them being red. The trees clear and next to us are three 6-meter-tall titans peering down at the squad on our right. Wires are shot from their bodies as they swing themselves around the titans as a group to take one of them at a time. I turn my head back in the direction we're headed but am pulled back as a piercing cry sends shivers down my spine.

"Help me! Please! One of you! I don't wanna die I don-"

The cry disappears into thin air, but the titan doesn't grant the team the pleasure of leaving.

"Captain Kaisa! Should we go help them?" Kageyama calls from behind me.

"Negative. The squad is there to protect the centre sector. If they fail, then we can engage, but until then trust your fellow comrades." I yell over my shoulder. I receive a call of understanding from behind me as we push forward. Assessing the situation next to us, it seems the three titans from before have been killed. A sigh of relief escapes me, and we continue making our way through the hills. It's almost been a peaceful minute until four red flares are expelled into the light blue sky on the right of us.

"Shit." I mutter underneath my breath.

"Alright cadets, we're engaging with the enemy. Use your brains, don't be a hero, and for the love of God don't die." I shout.

"Yes ma'am!" They exclaim.

Grace heads right from my tug on her reigns and we push towards the group on the right. I give a little tap with my foot against Grace encouraging her to move faster towards the mess in front of me as a cadet is thrown through the air into a group of trees.

"Vlad!" Mina screams from behind me.

I turn my head to glare at the four behind me.

"Do not let your emotions fog your decision making. We are soldiers, use his wings to fly!"

We approach the four titans that are still walking around and I have no sign of where Dita is. She should be here, shouldn't she? Ignoring the thoughts, I stand on Grace as she brings me closer to my prey and choose my first target: some 7-meter, buck tooth airhead. I release my ODM gear onto its shoulder and shoot myself off of Grace's back to swing up behind its neck. My hands find purchase on my blades, retrieving them before I spin and dig my swords into his vitals. Before I finish, I launch my free hook into another titan nearby to rob him of his pathetic life.

The adrenaline is coursing through me and I let out a scream as I attack another one, leaving no space in between for recovery. It's been a matter of seconds and three of them are dead. I push off the fresh kill and flip backwards to see my group deal the finishing cut to the last titan before landing on the ground. I hear a cheer behind me while I stand up and make my way towards them while whistling for Grace to come back.

"You don't get to cheer until you've made it back over that wall." I scold.

Their smiles are replaced with understanding, nodding their heads and hoisting themselves back onto their horses. We make our way to our original post and push our horse's forward to return to the formation with the other groups. It seems that Dita's squad didn't survive five minutes outside the walls. What a shame.

"Captain! Look! There are 5 more!" Mina screams.

"I need everyone to raise a flare immediately. Get ready to fight again, we're going 3/2 on this one, let's move!"

We split up and I deviate from the rest of the group as my blades are drawn to cut the first titan I come into contact with. It isn't long before my group has decimated the wandering idiots but to my surprise there is a whole army stumbling towards us. In the middle, an 8-meter-tall titan dashes at us while his arms flail next to his body.

"Get on your horses and get the hell out of here!" I order my team.

"We can't leave you alone with that many, you'll die!"

"I am giving you an order. Now go!" I scream.

The ground shakes beneath me and the moans of some of the titans are so loud that I am unable to hear my soldiers run off with their horses.

Today I was going to play hero.