54

-Kaisa-

Three days later, I find myself leaving the underground for goodness knows how long. I close the door to my place for the last time in a while, following up with some branches and greenery to hide the appearance of any openings. I don't bother to look back as I make my way to the Survey Corps HQ.

Since my last interaction with Levi, I feel a bit uneasy with his last responses. There's no way he'd know of Kenny's transgressions without personally interacting with him. That is, if Kenny still maintained his level of secrecy in the underground despite the lame title attributed to him.

But, the issue with this regards those who hired him. They must have conducted some sort of background check to ensure he'd be the best candidate for the job, meaning they must be corrupt in some form. People will really abandon morals for their self-interest.

People truly are selfish beings.

An hour later, I step back onto the Survey Corps grounds once again as a soldier—just without my gear. Walking inside of the familiar hallways, I feel light inside; I feel refreshed.

"Oh, Kaisa!" A familiar voice chimes behind me. I want to roll my eyes, but instead, joy spreads within me.

"Hello, Hange." I smile, turning to face her.

Suddenly, the ground underneath slips beneath my feet from a surprising tackle and her ponytail wacks the side of my face as we collide with the concrete. I let out a grunt as she quickly pushes herself up on her arms, looking down at me.

"I missed you so much! I'm so glad to have you back. Did you know what they did? They just left me high and dry on all of my ideas!" She complains.

I try to get my arm out from underneath us, hearing some footsteps rush towards us.

"Did actually not listen to you?" I question, finally releasing my arm.

"No, they did...but they wouldn't listen to me rant about it!" She whines.

"Captain Kaisa! Are you okay?"

I turn my head to see Connie looking over me with concern.

"Does she look okay to you, baldy?" Tsukishima edges him on.

Connie snaps his head towards him. "I told you, you giraffe! I'm not bald!"

"My name is Kei." Tsukishima responds.

"Giraffe?" Tobio tilts his head.

"It's one of those animals who have super large necks! Except this one has their head up their ass!" Connie scoffs.

I look over to Hange who isn't concerned with the commotion next to us and she eventually moves off me, but not before commenting on my return.

"I'm so glad to have you back. I heard about your conditions, and honestly, they don't seem as extreme as I thought they'd be." She says, holding out a hand to help me up.

The kids next to us continue bickering as we walk off to the dormitories.

"Yeah, although, Levi seemed to be a bit hesitant to give me what I wanted." I roll my eyes.

"That's surprising, especially coming from the guy who preaches about choosing the action that you'll regret the least." She ponders.

"Right? I honestly don't even know what to do with that information." I sigh.

Hange places a hand underneath her chin, "He definitely has feelings for you."

I stop in my tracks, "What?!"