71

-Kaisa-

After the meeting, all the squad leaders left, and only Hange, Levi, Erwin, and myself remain in our seats. The air doesn't feel as heavy as I thought it would, but it's possible that's because my two good friends are sitting in this room alongside me.

Nudging Levi slightly, I show my discomfort by leaning in and asking softly, "Can we go now?"

"Not yet." He responds, keeping his head forward at Hange.

Erwin clears his throat, causing me to mentally sigh in annoyance.

Levi, did you know about this?

Humanity's Strongest glances at me from his peripherals.

Mayhaps.

I consciously stop myself from groaning out loud.

I hate you.

"Kaisa." Erwin begins, "I want to apologize for my initial behaviour those months ago. After careful consideration, I agree my behaviour was relatively extreme."

"Observing your commitment to Eren's liberation from the Reiss family made it clear my reaction was not rationally thought out considering your previous works for the Survey Corps." He admits.

Levi burns his gaze into the man, which Erwin glances at before clearing his throat, "And after being held accountable by these two, I've acknowledged the mistreatment, and on behalf of the Survey Corps, I also apologize."

Despite the many grudges I hold, the sincerity in his voice is overwhelmingly present. Although I've already made my mind up to an extent, the words are stuck in my throat. A part of me is screaming this is a red flag, but the newest version of me is calmly reminding me of a fresh start. Will life be easier if I accept this apology? Is my pride more important than the outcome of humanity?

With the answer made up in my mind I lean in with a slight nod, "I accept your apology, Erwin."

Hange lets out the biggest sigh, "Damn! I can't believe I held my breath that entire time. Phew! You guys really know how to make something simple so dramatic."

I raise an eyebrow in response to the ironic statement Hange's made. Turning to Levi, he sits back in his chair, palm open towards Erwin.

"Give it." Levi flexes his hand with his words.

Erwin silently reaches into his pocket, begrudgingly placing a couple of coins in Levi's palm. Confused, I sit up straight in my chair, eyes darting between the two men. Ignoring my face, Erwin gathers the papers sprawled on the table and Levi pockets the coins.

"Um, excuse me, we are not just going to act like that interaction never happened." I point at the two of them with skepticism.

"It's nothing-" Erwin begins, but Levi cuts him off.

"I bet that you'd accept the apology within a couple of minutes. Erwin thought you'd take a day to think about it."

My mouth drops slightly, "You bet on me?!"

Levi shrugs, "Easy money."

"Tch, how'd you know I'd say yes?" Irritation laces my voice.

Levi doesn't say anything, instead stares at the wrappers bundled on the table in front of me.

I turn to Hange in disbelief before glaring at Levi, "That's why you had candy in your pocket!"

"It puts you in a good mood." He nonchalantly replies before standing up.

I cross my arms like a child, "Psh. Fools, all of you."

"Let's go." Levi says.

"Are you upset, Kaisa?" Erwin questions from his seat.