51

-Kaisa-

The next three days were spent in absolute dissonance.

Conflicting arguments of whether to return to the Survey Corps or reside in my little home away from the world plagued my thoughts. Hell, maybe I'd even erase the name I've made myself and blend in with the underground completely. Just imagining the peace that'd come with freedom from responsibility was enough to make me want to stay away from the life I onced lived.

Even if these alternatives are so tempting, my pride is the one thing I couldn't move past. I miss the sun; I miss long, warm showers; I miss fresh air.

Why should I have to sacrifice these basic desires?

I don't.

But I also don't need to be a part of the Survey Corps either.

I've decided that I'd start training some of the soldiers on my own time during the evening, so long as they decide to show up. This way, I don't need to face shorty or thick-brows while living my life above ground.

How I'm going to do this, I'm not so sure yet. I'd have to enter the underground frequently and that'd attract a bit of attention towards me from the guards. It's not like they wouldn't know who I am, rather, it's that I don't want to be attracting attention from those above.

Regardless, Eren was right in his letter. I need to do something if I'm planning on surviving the next five years and the only way that's happening is if I help the only people willing to sacrifice their life for freedom. The first step is figuring out how I'm going to get there but I've already decided I'll head over at night to avoid all the unnecessary stares from others.

If the last meeting I attended with the Survey Corps is still standing, Eren is still being kept in the basement. Poor kid has been living there for weeks and still isn't trusted even though he closed off one of the walls for humanity. At least this gives me an opportunity to go unseen and talk to him so he can do all the recruiting for me; for once, these restraints are in his favour.

It's around midnight and I'm already outside of the HQ building. It's not surprising, just disappointing, that the soldiers keeping watch over us are incompetent at listening. Had this been someone who wanted to wreak havoc on the Survey Corps, we'd be in a bit of trouble. Regardless, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt considering the wind is oddly aggravated tonight.

But that's none of my business.

I thank the God's for their laziness and make my way down towards the familiar corridor I took every single day for the past five years up until a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I kept from the Survey Corps was my cape. For some reason, I packed it unconsciously on the day I left and haven't been able to get rid of it since. A part of me thinks it's because I still support the message of the Survey Corps, minus the leaders pursuing the cause.

With the cape around my shoulders and the hood hanging over my head, the likelihood of being caught was low. Since it was evening, not having any gear or proper uniform was normal, so I'm not worried about anything. The path in front of me flickers with the candles hanging upon the brick walls; the dim lighting helps me with my trespassing. As I walk, I lightly run my fingertips across the wall on my right, staying close to it in hopes of avoiding any suspicion.

Personally, I'd argue it was an attempt to blend into the wall, but that's just ridiculous.

As expected, I reach the basement door without any troubles once I take a right turn, but am now faced with the difficult task of breaking into this lock. This is where things may go wrong, considering it'll look like a midget is looking directly into a fucking doorknob for no reason.