37

-Kaisa-

Right on time, the trio of soldiers and the suspected female titan arrive at their destination. I move closer to Levi's back in an attempt to hide myself better in case Leonhart decides to scrutinize the area before following her comrades; that's if she actually does follow the route to "help" Eren out. They look pretty small, probably the size of a chess piece from our location, but it's clear enough to see Leonhart is the only one standing at the top of the stairs after a few seconds. She peers down at the trio that's out of our vision but makes no movement to follow through with their actions.

"We should alert the others that she's aware of the set up." I say, moving to leave my post.

"We don't know that for sure." Levi grasps my wrist and gives a slight tug to keep me next to him.

"Levi, can't you see that this entire plan is a bust? We should-" My protest is interrupted by a shrilling laugh from down below. Levi's head whips around to look at the action.

I quickly peek over his shoulder again to see Leonhart's body slightly shaking before she calls out to I'm guessing to everyone.

"Isn't it suspicious that this street is conveniently free of any citizens in the vicinity?" She mocks the trio below us. I can hear Eren pleading with her to follow through but it's clear that no such thing will happen.

All at once, soldiers hiding amongst the rooftops of the neighbouring houses leap into the air as a collective, capes flowing behind them as they dip towards their target. We watch silently, taking in the different aspects of the scenario unfolding in front of us. Levi stands up and walks by me towards the edge of the rooftop jumping off, swinging in the direction of Erwin. I curse him silently but understand the message he's sending me.

It's clear that he's assessing the situation as one that requires agility, which is why he's leaving me here.

So much for staying together, huh, Levi.

Standing up from my crouched position, I brush off any gravel that made its way in between my straps to avoid any future nuisances. Being atop of the rooftops brought back bittersweet memories of jumping between them throughout my childhood. I thank myself for not working too much earlier in the day because I know I'm going to have to be even more agile than I was yesterday.

Running across the rooftops comes like second nature to me, and I quickly approach the scene below me. My torso aches as I feel the grit of the stitches rub against my wound, but my back doesn't give me too much trouble which is surprising so I pay no attention to what's suppressing the pain. Instead, I see Annie being restrained by a few soldiers but now that I'm closer, I can see the ring on her hand. Her thumb flicks it and suddenly a piece of jewellery becomes a murder weapon. I crouch down and lean against the chimney from the roof I'm on knowing what's coming.

"Let her go! Get out of there!" I scream. The soldiers look up at me and some move back according to my orders, however, those withstanding keep their tight grip on the young lady.

The sky flashes while a gust of wind is thrust down upon the surrounding architecture and soldiers in the premises. Cries of help are tossed into the air in desperation as those who held their grip on Leonhart fly across the sky to meet the sides of brick houses, painting them a deeper red. My stomach twists uncomfortably knowing that this is only the beginning once the steam begins to clear from Leonhart's location.

"Disengage! Prepare for Alt. 2!" I order over the commotion.

Alt. 2 is the alternative plan we set out in case something like this happened. There should already be soldiers waiting inside the cave supposing Leonhart followed the trio inside the abandoned underground trail. Their new job would be to ensure the trio are able to escape without being in harm's way considering the female titan would not be very happy with them. The soldiers that are outside move to their future posts and some begin escorting citizens to a specific part of town which is not too far from here.