15

-Kaisa-

Dinner ends quickly and I headed back to my room with the rest of the squad leaders to finally rest for the day. It had been four hours sine then and didn't feel tired at all so I decide to head to the small kitchen in our wing to make a cup of tea for myself to help relax before I head out for the evening.

I lean on the countertop and fidget with the bottom of my jacket in an attempt to amuse myself while the water boils in the kettle. I place the black tea leaves into the cup in preparation before putting the box back into the cupboard. It's only a few minutes before I'm leaving the kitchen undisturbed and am in my room again.

I close the door and lock it behind me. I take a look at the clock on the desk and find that I only have 15 minutes until I'd leave to begin my training. In the meanwhile, I decide to take out the blades that Levi had given me and begin to examine them again. I still can't figure these out and tonight was going to be the night I was going to try them out.

Instead of wasting my time doing absolutely nothing, I decide to complete some paperwork while enjoying my freshly made tea. The 15 minutes pass quickly so I take the box out of the drawer and attach my ODM gear to my body before grabbing my cape in case the night is colder than I predict.

I open my door and peek my head out and check both directions of the hallway before stepping out. I step out and close my door very slowly to not make any noise which would bring attention to me. Once I've successfully done so, I become the sneakiest person I can be the only way I know how—I begin walking on the tips of my toes.

I can feel the wind against my cheeks and but I'm not smiling at the feeling. These times aren't for happiness—they're meant for me to become better so that I don't let others die at my expense. I'm almost out the door when a voice makes me jump.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

I turn slowly and see Levi in his gear with a cup in his hand.

"I could ask the same of you, Levi. Is your insomnia acting up again?" I ask gently.

He walks closer to me. "It may be, but my concern is why you've been coming out here every night for the past couple of months." He inquires.

"How did you know that I've been coming out for these months?" I ask dumbfounded.

"I didn't, but now I know." He smirked while ruffling my hair.

I look up at him and find that I've been outsmarted once again by Captain Levi, though I'm not very surprised.

"I had the suspicion after noticing that I couldn't hear your sobs through my door when doing paperwork as I stayed up." He casually states.

My face burns and I want to disappear into my large cape and die. End my suffering, please.

"I thought that maybe you'd grow out of it, but I wasn't sure, so I thought that your dumbass would so something as stupid as training alone." He jokes...I think.

"Well," I say recomposing myself, "You're welcome to join me if you want. Maybe then you can teach me how to use these blades." I invite as I begin swinging to the forest grounds.

"Shuriken." He answers as he pulls up beside me.

"Shuriken?" I tilt my head slightly

"That's what they're called." His voice fades as he launches himself up into the air doing a flip. I admire his form for a second before I lead myself up to dance beside him in the air.

We fly through the evening sky and I find that he's still holding onto the small cup, taking a sip. I shake my head letting out a giggle as I land onto a tree far enough into the forest. Levi stops in front of me on another tree branch before I raise my voice since there's no need to be quiet anymore.

"I can't believe you're able to drink tea while you're swinging." I shake my head.

"It was empty, I just thought I'd show off anyway." He smirks, flipping the cup over.

I roll my eyes and pull out the box which I attached to my ODM gear before I left and place it out in front of me. Levi heads over to my branch and sits in front of me as I take the lid off and pick up a shuriken.

"How did you get these?" I ask, watching the moonlight reflect off the metal.

"I made them. Took old blades and mended them to take this shape. I read a book about an old technique that the Oriental's would use to either take lives or stop pursuit of enemies. Apparently, you're supposed to flick it and with enough practice it can be used in our case to blind those fuckers." He explains.

My eyes widen in surprise. "You made these? And they can blind those pigs?!" I look up at him in excitement.

"They don't deserve to see who's going to kill them." He coldly states. His hands clench and his body tenses.

I evaluate him. His face is emotionless, but his body is more closed off to me—he turned his torso to the side. I decide not to push further because of this and instead continue the trash talking fest.

"I don't even think their shit for brains are able to figure it out." I mutter.

"We should just kill them." I continue.

He looks at me with an eyebrow raised and I stand up holding the shuriken.

"Are you going to teach me or am I going to have to struggle another night to figure it out." I challenge.

"I want to see you struggle first." He says, moving next to me and leaning against the tree stump.

"Meanie." I scoff.

"I would have thought you'd know this by now, Cadet." He teases.

My jaw drops but I don't respond, instead, I stick a reflective film onto the shuriken and turn to the tree where Levi once sat. I hold the blade in the centre—my thumb on one side and my middle finger on the opposite. Taking a stance with my right foot behind me and knees bent, I twist my body slightly back and throw the blade in the direction of the tree.

I missed. The blade fell into the bushes below.

"Damn, you really are shit at this." Levi comments.

I ignore him and grab another shuriken and stick another film on it before taking the same stance again. This time, I try holding the shuriken on one of the edges and throw it. I miss again.

One after the other, each shuriken I threw fell to the ground and there was one left.

"Let me show you how it's done." Levi expresses.

He takes the shuriken out of my hand before we shuffle across the branch so that he can get in front. I don't see how he holds it due to the dark atmosphere, but instead of twisting his body, he leans back on his hind leg. He releases the shuriken, and it pierces the bark of the tree, hanging on.

"Did you come out of the womb doing that?!" I exclaim.

Levi lets out a single chuckle and my stomach flips upside down. Strange, I think to myself, it's weird how I decide to be nervous at the height we are right now.

"Go pick up the one's you've lost, if you can even find them." Levi shakes his head.

I swing down and find all seven shuriken on the ground before bouncing back up to the branch. Levi raises an eyebrow and crosses his arm. I answer the question he's thinking.

"On some of the packaging of the rations, there was this silver film on the inside. I noticed that I could repurpose the foil, or whatever it is, to reflect any light that lands on it. Turns out, my assumption was correct. All I needed was a little light from the moon and I have all of the shuriken back with me." I inform.

"Not bad for an airhead like you." He congratulates.

"Thank you!" I take the compliment.

"Now, teach me how to do this because it is so confusing." I furrow my eyebrows.

"As you wish."