81

A/N: thank you for your patience as i got myself together <3 

-Kaisa-

"Levi, I need the syringe."

He stares back at me with a tightened jaw. He turns his head over his shoulder swiftly without saying anything.

"Levi, I said-"

He moves out of the way completely, revealing a distraught Eren bent over a body that is burnt beyond recognition. In Eren's hold is Bertholdt's t-shirt as the titan shifter remains unconscious.

"Where's-?" I think aloud, before the picture in front of me burns into my soul.

Oh, God.

Eren stands up from where he is, eyes darting between those who've just arrived at the scene. His eyes are puffy, and his face looks like shit. His clothes are dirty, and his hair is all over the place. He sniffles, wiping his nose on the uniform that still clings to his shoulder. I presume that the burnt body on the rooftop is what remains of Armin; it pains me to see that such talent has gone to waste alongside Erwin today.

"He's barely breathing." Eren cries.

I nod my head, assuming he's referring to the soldier in my arms, "Yes, Tobio's going to die if we don't move fast enough."

I turn to Levi, "Please, I know that tensions are high right now, but that syringe needs to be administered as soon as possible so we can help this kid come back."

The stoic face that Levi wore often wasn't expressed, a pained stare with pulled brows set me on edge, "Kaisa."

The words croak from my throat, "...Why aren't you giving it to me?"

Eren breaks the silent nature of the air, voice ringing with desperation, "Armin is still alive! He's the one who should get it."

The world could not become quieter. My eyes dart to the helpless, shallow-breathing child in my arms before quickly looking at what remains of the bright, hopeful blond boy. Eren's face is distraught, brows pulled together while tilted upwards with lines across his forehead that are far too premature for his age. And yet, despite it all, only thoughts of how to get my kid out of this predicament fill my mind, prioritizing my kid over anyone else at this moment.

I plead with Levi's rational side, "Tobio is the best titan slayer for their year. We need him if we're going to recover from this slaughter, we'll need him to move forward. Give me the syringe, please."

"We're going to need a strategist if we're going to move forward! Armin is the best thing we have now that Erwin is gone!" Eren fought back.

My gaze hardens, eyes glancing at the meddling boy before returning to Levi's unmoving face, "We have Hange for strategies. We don't have someone as strong as you or I, and Tobio is the closest when it comes to either of us."

Boots gently click on the tiles behind me, Hange's voice ringing through, "Kaisa, please, let's calm down and think rationally."

My head snaps behind me, hands gripping tighter in hopes Tobio's soul stays a little longer.

"I am calm, I am being rational." I cradle his body closer to me, "Why is no one listening to me?! Why is it taking so much fucking time to bring my kid back?!"

My throat stings from the cries that seem to pass by everyone around me, "Tobio needs the syringe! He will get the syringe."

Soon, my eyes begin to sting as well, "Levi, he's barely breathing...he's dying..."

It feels childish. I know I am being childish. Moments ago, fighting the best titan with confidence and without hesitation in my steps. Now, the look on Levi's face wavers the confidence I once had about reviving my student. From leader to a weak and helpless nobody, I stand at the mercy of the man who holds the key to life.