38

-Kaisa-

I give the female titan a sarcastic smile and tiny wave before dropping from her vision. The likelihood of her swiping my body into pieces is very probable, so instead of just falling straight down, I launch a wire towards the right side of her waist to throw off the trajectory of my fall. Luckily, her swing just grazes the back of my hair as I pull out my blades before slicing her side. Just before I land on her body, I use my other grappling hook to bring me towards another building now that I'm approximately at the same level they stand at.

My left shoulder stings at the quick movements I'm performing, but the wound isn't too deep to actually affect my agility. However, I don't pull any fancy moves in case my accuracy is diminished from the cut. Approximately five minutes have passed since the last attack on the underground corridor which I hope is enough time for the rest of the soldiers to fall into place. I head back towards our starting point while hearing the titan's stomps behind me.

The moment I fly over the entrance to the tunnel, I see someone with their hood up exit the building and am filled with relief when I see the figure jump off. Neither of these are Eren. The stomps behind me come to a halt, so I turn my head over my shoulder to see the female titan has attacked the underground pathway once again, crushing the rest of the building into pieces. Landing on the nearest rooftop, I hear Armin's cries from below. This isn't good, Eren's probably been hurt.

Why hasn't he turned yet? Does he not have a goal he wishes to achieve at the moment?

Whatever the situation is, I don't know, but something is definitely not right here. Stepping off the roof, my stomach drops before my wire catches me, swinging me towards the blonde soldier.

"What's going on—oh shit." The picture in front of me speaks volume. I step through the rubble and kneel down next to the brunette.

Eren lay underneath a multitude of stones with a wooden plank pushed through his chest. His blood is pouring out of his wounds and his body is tense. I brush his clumped hair out of his face and his green eyes follow my hand movements as I do so. The scenario shakes me to my core; this poor kid is really suffering at the hands of his former comrade. I lock eyes with him for a moment which sends shivers throughout my entire being, making me incredibly anxious.

"Damn, he really is impaled; the splinters must be hurting like hell." I can't help but laugh out of nervousness. Armin looks at me like I'm crazy and I try to stop my laughs by shaking my head.

"We're not going to be able to get him out of there, it's up to him to figure out if he's gonna get himself out of this. I'm assuming Mikasa is the one who left first and you guys got caught, correct?" I ask, searching through the rubble for something.

"Yes, ma'am." He answers.

"Alright, regroup with the rest, they should be approximately three hundred meters from here. By the looks of it, the female titan is trying to escape the walls." I order. I find what I'm looking for and yank it from the stones it's trapped underneath.

"Her name is Annie." He responds, standing up.

"You know her as Annie, but the longer you hold onto her name and relationship to her, the harder it's going to be for you to make rational decisions. She's no longer your comrade, she's the person who just tried to murder you and your best friends. Get it together, Arlert." My cold words express my now serious demeanor. Sometimes, you have to face the fact that you really didn't understand someone the way you thought you did.

"Don't die. Meet up with the rest." I look up at Armin, seeing him nod his head before watching him run off.

I take my knife out once again and look down at the thin wooden stick in my hand which was once trapped underneath the rubble. I begin to cut the edges of the wood to form a thinner stick, sharpening the edge of it. The hair in my face is beginning to bother me, so once I found this little guy, I decided it'd be great to use it to keep my hair out of the way. I bring my hair up as I would with a regular ponytail but wrap my hair around with the stick before finally shoving it down the middle.