46

-Levi-

Holding her in my arms, she reveals her vulnerability to me. Her hand is still in mine, and her body has finally stopped shaking.

It made more sense; her entire story seemed to line up with why Erwin scouted her originally from the streets. This must've meant that she too grew up in the underground; we might've even passed each other unknowingly.

We must have.

That man. That son of a bitch who taught me the bare minimum and left. There is no question that he was the one who killed her parents, at least, the ones that she remembers. I strengthen my hold on her hand.

"Kaisa, are you feeling better?" I gently ask.

She pulls back from me with an emotionless expression across her face. She looks up at me and nods, leaning against the tree behind her, pulling my hand into her lap. Her free hand lands on top of mine and she softly traces her fingertips across my skin mindlessly. The action surprisingly gets a reaction out of me and a spark flows through my body.

Thank you, Levi.

My eyes tear away from our intertwined hands and look into her eyes in surprise. Did I just mishear something?

What do you mean, thank you?

"W-"

For everything.

Overwhelming confusion fills my head--her voice is echoing softly within my head.

What the fuck is this?

Dunno, just figured out I can do it.

Your casual response is worrying.

I'm pretty surprised, but I wonder if I could do this with others.

That'd be pretty useful especially if we got separated and needed to get a message across to others.

Kaisa stares back at me with determination, when suddenly her face relaxes as she leans against the tree.

"And it's gone." She says.

"We should probably head back to the others. We've been gone for about twenty minutes now." I stand up, tugging on her hand slightly to bring her up with me.

"You're right. Sorry about that." She apologizes.

"Don't apologize for an event you had no control over; trauma is trauma." I affirm her.

She silently nods, and we head towards the wall.

Her hand is small, gentle, and soft in comparison to mine. Even though her fingers have callouses from holding her blades from combat, her fingertips are delicate and wonderfully made. She follows behind me cautiously, letting me guide her on the way back. The wall isn't that far from where she fell, so we arrive quickly.

I turn to face her, and she turns to face mine. Her eyes are soft, almost empty, but focused and prepared to take on any challenge that presents itself. My heart aches slightly for her; the unusual feeling continues to creep up on myself.

"Levi? Is there something on my face?" She asks, wiping her cheek with the back of her free hand.

"I hope you know I was joking earlier--about the whole 'boyfriend situation'."

"That was a shitty joke." She deadpans.

"I was just thrown off by your weird behaviour is all." I explain.

"Yeah, well, it was still shitty. Who do you take me for anyway?" She squints her eyes.

"Well, clearly someone who I think is worth my time."