26

-Kaisa-

"Eren!" I scream from atop of a hill.

Hanji is pushing him too far this time and I am not going to let the poor kid suffer through another one of her chaotic and painful experiments. I rush towards the titan that is laying on the ground, steam coming out of it. I use my ODM gear to get closer to the exhausted cadet and hear Hanji scream from underneath me.

"Kaisa! Don't do it! We can maybe figure out something more if we just let him sit there for a while!" She tries to convince me.

"Are you fucking crazy, four-eyes?! This is a child! You're going too far and I'm making the executive decision to get him out of here." I yell at her. It's rare that I ever use my status to overrule other decisions, but I can't just stay silent on the sidelines watching Eren suffer so extremely for humanity.

I run up the side of his arms and the heat underneath me slightly stings but I ignore it, running up to the large titan's nape. I place my hands on the back of his neck and feel for the perfect place to slice him out of there with non-invasive injuries. After pinpointing the location, I carefully slide my blade into the steaming flesh, slowly carving Eren out of his titan body, linking my arms with his while pulling him out. He's sweating profusely and his face is still, probably exhausted from all of the hard work he's put in working with Hanji and her crazy stunts.

I tug our bodies backwards a bit further, letting the both of us slump on top of the decomposing titan body, him resting against my chest. I hear footsteps approaching from the same arm I just climbed so I pull Eren closer to my chest while withdrawing a blade with my free hand.

"Don't. Don't come any closer or I won't hesitate to hurt you." I seethe with anger.

"Kaisa, you know we need this information in order to win. You want to win, don't you?" Hanji sighs.

"I don't give a single fuck about winning if it means putting an underage boy through hell and back. Look at him! He's been doing this day after day willingly just to help humanity. Don't forget that he's human too, he needs to rest properly!" I chastise.

"Eren will not be doing anymore tests for the rest of the day." I command.

"But Kais-"

"No. This is inhumane. This is barbaric, we are better than this, we will not stoop down to that level as long as I'm here." I scold. "The second we start treating each other like this is the day we are no better then those hideous bastards." I sneer. I bunch up part of my long sleeve in my hand, gently wiping off the residue of blood on Eren's face.

"Also, clean the mess you made earlier today, a special message from our favourite clean freak." I throw another jab at Hanji.

Eren continues to rest silently against me as I hold his body weight up away from the crackhead scientist. I'm so sorry, Eren, I think to myself. If I knew this was going to be the way they were going to treat him, I would have fought to ensure better precautions than whatever they have going on here. I place the young cadet down on his side before laying next to him, grabbing an arm and a leg to wrap around my back as I push up to be on my hands and knees. Here, I wrap the other arm and leg around my waist and neck before standing up, carrying him on my back as I shove past Hanji and the other soldiers back to the castle. I can feel his shallow breathing against my neck and my heart hurts for the poor kid—he's doing everything he can to figure out more things about his power but, at what cost?

The sun's heat beats down on us and Eren's body weight isn't helping my fatigue at all. The fields have a slight incline with no designated path, but with plenty of flowers and greenery instead. I recognize a lavender coloured flower hiding between the large grass next to the dense grass we used as a trail, and decide to pick it up since its appearance seemed familiar; it wouldn't hurt to bring something back.